Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 6.0 and I'm thinking about doing headstuds and was wondering if its okay to run 6.4 push rods on the factory heads PR would that cause issues not building a monster just making it run that much smoother and last longer

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a 2006 6.0 and I'm thinking about doing headstuds and was wondering if its okay to run 6.4 push rods on the factory heads PR would that cause issues not building a monster just making it run that much smoother and last longer
Yes, you can run 6.4 push rods. If I remember correctly Ford stopped using the 6.0 pushrods and moved to the 6.4 only. The 6.4s are supposedly easier on the lifters.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,844 Posts
that's right, ford doesn't supply the 6.0 pushrods anymore... unfortunately they put mine back together with the 6.0 pushrods before i bought it :eek: fortunately no issues at the moment :p

if you or your shop takes much off the head at all, then your stock 6.0 pushrods will be a bit long and could tear up the lifters for sure. and chances are that the head needs to be shaved a little bit at least. it's pretty common practice to toss the 6.0 pushrods and install 6.4 pushrods any time the heads come off

anyway, sub'd. i'd love to hear more on the subject if anybody ha smore to add :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do I half to mill down the head in order to install the 6.4 push rods and can I just leave it all factory and put them in

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,844 Posts
not for the 6.4 push rods no, but you typically gotta machine the head in order to be sure you won't blow the head gasket. that's the whole deal with the head gasket jobs failing. either they don't check & deck the heads, don't check for cracks, don't prep the block, or mis-torque the headbolts or studs upon installation. due to cost & time, people have often skipped checking the heads for flatness...and had to pay the price to do the job all over again

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,844 Posts
i am pretty sure that the 6.4 pushrods will go in fine without milling the heads though, in the case that the heads are perfectly fine and don't require milling. i think that better answers your question lol!
...if that's not quire right, i'm sure somebody will correct me. they love to beat up on ol' turd around here :D

·
Kenner, LA
322 Posts
6.4 pushrod length is correct length pushrod for a 6.0. Thermal expansion was not ever considered and subsequently the factory 6.0 rod is too damn long. No you DO NOT need to mill the head to use a 6.4 pushrod. Years ago Ford revised the part number for the 6.0 to a 6.4 part number.

·
Administrator
32,939 Posts
i am pretty sure that the 6.4 pushrods will go in fine without milling the heads though, in the case that the heads are perfectly fine and don't require milling. i think that better answers your question lol!
...if that's not quire right, i'm sure somebody will correct me. they love to beat up on ol' turd around here :D
nailed it again

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awesome thank you guys and I do t think the heads need to be machined the truck only has 90xxx on it and has never been roughed up or beaten up so I think it should go smooth

·
Administrator
8,238 Posts
If you are pulling the head, yes it needs milled and you should do studs also.

·
Master BS'er
5,931 Posts
Agreed, At the very least check them with a straight edge. Spec is usually about .003.
To have them off and not even check is a big mistake. Check the deck too, just for the hell of it. The job is a big one, better make sure it's right before putting it back together.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I was unaware the pushrods are the same length. Makes sense though since those two engines are so similar.
They aren't the same length. The 6.4 pushrods are slightly shorter. I forget the spec of how much but shorter nonetheless.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I see. However much shorter it is, it can't image its very much at all.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
.047 shorter is what I found. It's not much but when they were supposedly that much too long before you shave anything off the head it starts to add up quickly in a world where thousandths matter.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts