Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this, but I got an 08 that ran p0087 and p0088 so replaced the hpfp. Now the truck doesn’t start and just blows white smoke. Started to get wrench light for p2291 (fuel injection control module low - engine crank) code. Replaced just the low pressure pump and not the whole housing. Still no start. Ive installed a gauge on the shrader valve and a bleed line. Bled a lot of air. Cracked back banjo bolt and released some air. Still no start. I’m lost because now when I crank I’m starting to get more of a black smoke coming from the exhaust. Any ideas?

·
Master BS'er
5,931 Posts
On the few that Ive done, I bled them for a long time. Don't remember how many key cycles it took, but it was always quite a lot.

Did you bleed the fuel system?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was there any metal AT ALL from the old pump failure?
Not that I know of I had a shop replace the pump and they couldn’t get the truck started. When I looked in the fuel bowl it didn’t look like any kind of metal was in there. I have also cycled the key many times and still same results.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On the few that Ive done, I bled them for a long time. Don't remember how many key cycles it took, but it was always quite a lot.

Did you bleed the fuel system?
Yeah I tried a bunch of times. I’d cycle the key about 4 times and then bleed the valve. I’ve also cycle 4 times and crack the banjo bolt. I’m not sure if that’s the right procedure or not.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With no luck I’ve tried yet another day bleeding air. I’ve got all the air out and then I try and start the truck. While I’m trying to start it I am hooked up to a craftsman’s code reader getting live data on fuel pressure. The most it peaks to is 1350 but hangs around 400 when I’m cranking. Only a few times has it hit 1350. Still no luck. I’ve checked fuses, fuel lines and everything else imaginable. I still get p2291 code and white smoke from exhaust. Ive about had it with my truck. Not to mention my tuner screen doesn’t work and patriot Diagnostics is no longer around. Im lost and have no idea where to go.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
if you truly have all the air out with no internal fuel leaks then it’s most likely that one or more injectors are bypassing fuel out the returns causing low pressure I have seen this before on several 6.4 trucks. Typically they do it when it’s hot but it’s still possible in your situation.

What is your low pressure fuel pressure?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not sure where the “remains” came from in my post but omit it..
Thanks Mathewd11 I will be pulling injectors and sending them out for bench testing. I will be looking into getting a new set of injectors and nozzles and I might as well get to doing the head studs.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
As a preventative measure i would replace the fuel pressure sensor on the rail under the pass side valve cover. They are known to leak fuel into the engine oil. You’ll need new jumper lines too they are a one time use. If you buy ford injectors they come with them

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks Mathewd11 I will be pulling injectors and sending them out for bench testing. I will be looking into getting a new set of injectors and nozzles and I might as well get to doing the head studs.
Did you solve the problem, having the exact issue right now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I swear I went through a whole tank of fuel in order the bleed my system. It took hours upon hours of cycling the fuel pump. Finally a day later the truck hick upped And then finally started to start and run longer and Longer while I was cracking banjos at the same time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts