Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'll agree it *is* a powerful motor, but not at all reliable.
X2. imho the 6.0, 6.4 and any diesel built from 2003 on will not be as dependable as the older engines. They just can't be as you have an ever increasing level of complexity. Gone are the days of cleaning a set of points with a match book emery board. Is the 6.4 a great engine...sure but only with in its specific designed parameters which are greatly modified with the addition of all of the emissions garbage. Time marches on and if you want a new truck with the dependability of the older trucks then get one, rebuild the drive train and drop a new body onto the older frame. There are many guys over on TDS that have done just this and the frames are close enough that it can be done.

·
Professional American, guarding our constitution.
9,453 Posts
Gone are the days of cleaning a set of points with a match book emery board.
Set of points and a 4bbl... And clutch linkages... And a fuel pump on the block... And V-belts...

Well, I do have to give GM credit for the HEI ignition, that was one modernization that was for the better... Provided you carried an extra module or three in the glove box.

The complexity you spoke of on the '03-up engines is mostly all useless emissions nonsense... And when those systems throw a sensor or something dryrots or a vacuum line disconnects everything goes haywire, including the poor schlep trying to diagnose it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Not only the emissions but going to 4 valves, injectors that fire more then once per combustion, sequential turbos and so on. Nearly everything in the truck goes though the one computer or another.

Funny, a couple decades ago diesels ran clean enough to be used in a mine (confined space) but now the exhaust has to be cleaner then the air going in...

...i do carry an extra ignition module in the glove box of my suburban...

·
Registered
875 Posts
its not a complexity problem its lack of engineering. international engines just plain suck! when the epa rolled in the new more strict standards some companies handled it better than others. Caterpillar took it the worse abandoning on highway engines for several years. International cut there price and continued to produce garbage in there durastar and terastar trucks and there crappforce engines. Ironically NOW available with significantly more reliable Cummins engines. Gm took the change well the industry leading lbz engine and made it into the over engineered lmm The duramax had its issues as well, but was still industry leading and most reliable light duty diesel. Dodge has always out sourced its power plant to Cummins. Cummins is leader in commercial engines and one of the best on highway engines and has embraced the epa regulations and developed its scr system to meet the standards. The days of rolling coal are soon gone like the days of carburetors and leaded gas In its day the N14 was one of the best engines ever made now we deal with the isx no it not as reliable but it produces more power 90% lower emissions on the same amount of fuel. I just wish international would of done the same. The maxxforce 7 was on par for power industry leading emissions but lacked ANY durability testing the basic engine design was flawed from the start whether it was ignorance or arrogance that is the only real debate.....At least Navistar admitted defeat with maxxforce 15 it was no comparison to the isx, soon they will get over there arrogance and drop the maxxforce 7 all together

·
Professional American, guarding our constitution.
9,453 Posts
...i do carry an extra ignition module in the glove box of my suburban...
I own 2 K-5's that have extras as well, but regardless of make all my vehicles have a couple GM modules in the glove box. Mostly 4 pin but the later ones too.. You see an older GM on the side of the highway with the hood up there's about a 10 out of 10 chance that's the problem. Depending on how the owner/occupant passes the profiling and attitude test determines the emergency roadside service price of the module.

Fuses, GM modules, body clips, and sensors are wonderful junkyard pocket fillers

·
Registered
284 Posts
I dunno, my truck is pretty reliable. No major repairs, everything works as it should. I take religious care of it, mind you, and only do about 6000 miles per year, so I'm probably not an average owner. I always let it warm up and cool down, and don't let it idle unnecessarily. You can type the name of ANY diesel engine followed by the word problems and get lots of hits on Google. It is what it is. I am certainly not gonna sell my 6.4 and pay too much for a 7.3 with terminal rust.

·
eshpile
144 Posts
i bought my '08 F-450 in Oct of 2012 with 19k on her, today I have 123k on her all pulling storage sheds, truck weight 13k LBS trailer weight 6700LBS can haul 38' of shed weight average 6 to 8k LBS, and it will push 50lbs of boost if I let her truck scares the hell of me I never push her because I am scared I will push a piston out the top, the truck is truly a beast but comes with it share of problems, 4 radiators, head studs, all kinds of tuner problems, lost $5k in one week just because of a bad tune, steering wheel stabilizer, but with all that said I do love the truck it pays my bills

·
Registered
284 Posts
Mmmmm, nope. Still stock studs and EGR intact here. Just about 25000 trouble free miles like that (as I knock on wood, while throwing salt over my shoulder with both fingers crossed while holding a four leaf clover)

·
Registered
649 Posts
Ive been running the 310 for almost 25,000 miles and still have factory head bolts and only have the egr blocked off(and shut off on the tuner). I have the delete just havent had time with my 80+ hour a week schedule

·
Registered
284 Posts
Ive been running the 310 for almost 25,000 miles and still have factory head bolts and only have the egr blocked off(and shut off on the tuner). I have the delete just havent had time with my 80+ hour a week schedule
Don't do it man!! I know of a few other people in the same boat. My unproven belief is that deleting the EGR is gonna open Pandora's tool box.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Its already shut off and blocked off, I guess I dont see how finally deleting it should change anything

1 - 20 of 23 Posts