Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

6.4 hesitating under acceleration

22K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  wackyman9 
#1 ·
Experiencing a bad hesitation when I'm cruising on the highway if I try to slowly accelerate with the engine in the 1500 to 2000 rpm range the engine falls on its face and starts jumping and bucking until I get the engine above 2000 rpm.

#4 ·
What happens above 2k rpm's, does it go back to "normal" driving for acceleration? Does it sputter or jump during deceleration as well? Any recent mechanical repairs or maintenance performed? Did it start after a recent fuel up? Have you drained the water separator recently?

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

#7 ·
When was the last time you fueled up?

#6 ·
Lol I just started to experience this as well I thought maybe just some bad fuel. But curious what is said now that someone made a post about it

#14 ·
Sounds like the DPF sensors and a thermostat?

P2084 - Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Circuit Range/Performance Bank 1 Sensor 2
P1335 - EGR Position Sensor Minimum Stop Performance
P0128 - P0128 - Coolant Thermostat Malfunction

Sooooo long story short, you need to tune and delete lol! EGR sounds like its stuck and the dpf temp sensor is faulty. Also, there is a cooling concern somewhere, maybe a bad sensor, or low coolant or maybe just due for a coolant change or put in in D too fast on a cold day? the P0128 is the least concerning as long as the coolant level is proper and the coolant is good and clean and running at the proper engine temps. If the temp on the coolant spikes, I would start thinking its time to flush and clean the coolant system as there may be some particulates clogging certain passages.. Good Luck! Keep us posted!

#16 ·
Well I would recommend Spartan, I had good luck with Rudy's on a full kit for the egr and dpf deletes with intake elbow, cold air intake and exhaust. And the egr failure could very well caused the P0128,

Reactions: wackyman9
#17 ·
Are Rudy's and Dale's under the same umbrella? They both seem to be a powerhouse in the 6.4 aftermarket world. I used Dale's and they had the parts shipped direct to me from the manufacturer. +1 on Spartan tuning.

#18 ·
Really don't know, never heard of them, where are they located? And Rudy's had mine to me the next day on everything but the tuner and the tuner was the day after. Don't know if they came straight from the manufacturer or not tho.

#21 ·
Located in southern florida-ish. When I googled it, it showed up basically as a strip mall store front in the middle of a small industrial complex..

#19 ·
P0128 is stuck open thermostats, usually find the rubber coming off of them and allowing coolant to stay cooler by flowing more, this could lead to regain issues too as the engine is not running hot enough. If you do the thermostats and the upper hose is the original(black connector at thermostat housing) go with the updated hose(white connector) it has 2 orings. Also sounds like you need an egr valve and an egt sensor.

Reactions: wackyman9
#20 ·
i'm going to pull my codes today and see if i match any of these but my dpf is gone i still have my egr. i'm currently chasing down the wait till springs gremlins which are squealing brakes which i've had since i've owned it, direct drive solenoid, an adjustable trac bar, new shocks, undercoating, and rock chips on inner fender lips.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.