Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so this is my first diesel. I picked the truck up in ohio they just got it from an auction in Texas so I'm going to change all the fluids in it before it starts to get cold. The truck has 150k miles on it. Dealer doesn't know the last time any of the fluids were changed etc. (The truck was only on the lot for a few hours before I purchased it). I am going to start with the oil first. I know i need cj4 oil wally world has rotella semi sythetic and just plain old oil for the same price (12.50 a gal). Should I stick with the 15w40 for winter or go to a lighter. I live just north of Pittsburgh.

I checked the coolant today looks like there is actual coolant not just water but looks a lot lighter in color than what I'm use to seeing here going to be changing that next any suggestions on coolant I will be flushing the system when I change it.

Next is differential fluid. I won't be doing a lot of hauling just about 500 highway miles a month

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
got a manual ?

I would do all fluids .. I even did mine on a used truck with 22k .. then you have a set point an peace of mind

·
Registered
77 Posts
Cat elc is what most people are going to on the coolant and oil i would run the rotella t6 5w-40 synthetic. My truck had no problem firing up in-20 weather with it. That was with no block heater.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cat elc is what most people are going to on the coolant and oil i would run the rotella t6 5w-40 synthetic. My truck had no problem firing up in-20 weather with it. That was with no block heater.

That's impressive I don't think I could bring myself to spending 20 bucks a gallon for synthetic though. Would I get similar results with just plain 5w 40 oil ?

·
Exploding the magma
581 Posts
That's impressive I don't think I could bring myself to spending 20 bucks a gallon for synthetic though. Would I get similar results with just plain 5w 40 oil ?
Your not going to find a 5w40 that isn't synthetic. But comparing how a HEUI and a CR system cold start is comparing apples and oranges. Personally I think you will be fine with 15w40. If you are still concerned get a heavy duty timer, set it for about 2-3 hours before you leave in the morning and plug it in.

As far a coolant, I believe the 6.4 came with Gold. So either Zerex G-05 (same thing as MC gold) or an ELC would work fine.

What trans do you have in it?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sorry havent changed my info i have a 2010 f350 that i use the synthetic with i run that in winter then 15 40 summer rotella t

·
Exploding the magma
581 Posts
Sorry havent changed my info i have a 2010 f350 that i use the synthetic with i run that in winter then 15 40 summer rotella t

Gotcha, what does the manual say you can run 15w40 down to in a 6.4... I would imagine at least zero. Does it get that cold in Pittsburgh?

I know Montana gets pretty cold, my inlaws tried to go to Glacier and do the Going to the Sun road in August a few years back and it was closed.... three feet of snow. I was there the july before and it got into the 20s at night.

·
Exploding the magma
581 Posts

·
Super Sparky
1,225 Posts
I used to use Motorcraft 15/40, I just switched to Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5/40 full synthetic. Liking it so far!

OP, Where you at North of PGH? I'm near Cranberry Twp.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What is the heui and cr ? And how do I know I got a block heater I know what they are I don't have the symbol on the dash when I turn my key forward. It gets pretty cold sometimes but most of the winter its in the 20 very few days it gets below 0.

·
Exploding the magma
581 Posts
Heui is hydraulic electric unit injection, the injection system used on the 94.5-03 7.3 and all 6.0s. They use the motor oil as hydraulic fluid to fire the injectors. A cr is a common rail system. The system use a single high pressure (23-30+ k pressure at the rail) pump to feed a high pressure rail which has the injectors attached to it and they are fired by the computer. The 6.4, 6.7 psds, all duramaxes, and 03+ cummins are crs.

·
Exploding the magma
581 Posts
I am in butler county.
Does it matter if I would run synthetic in winter and regular in summer.
Nope, many (including my self (well semi-synth in the winter for me, conventional in the spring and summer)) do. You can go back and forth as much as you want.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts