Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put a reman 08 6.4 , about 20k miles in , on time oil and filter changes .
Was out of town working, on my way to job site started knocking very loud, black smoke, stopped put truck in park then truck locked up. Has oil. (Just changed 200 miles)
Got it to the shop, auto tech say he can turn it with braker bar only a 1/4 both ways and hears noise coming from lower, says he will have to open it up to see? Says might be a broken pistin, valve . in the beginning he said might of hydrolocked ...
advice or suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
5,418 Posts
Did you try pulling glow plugs and spin the motor over by hand? It is a 6.4 so anything is possible including catastrophic failure. The black smoke was probably an indication of a injector over fueling and you could have melted a piston or bent/broken a connecting rod.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just put a reman 08 6.4 , about 20k miles in , on time oil and filter changes .
Was out of town working, on my way to job site started knocking very loud, black smoke, stopped put truck in park then truck locked up. Has oil. (Just changed 200 miles)
Got it to the shop, auto tech say he can turn it with braker bar only a 1/4 both ways and hears noise coming from lower, says he will have to open it up to see? Says might be a broken pistin, valve . in the beginning he said might of hydrolocked ...
advice or suggestions?
Did you try pulling glow plugs and spin the motor over by hand? It is a 6.4 so anything is possible including catastrophic failure. The black smoke was probably an indication of a injector over fueling and you could have melted a piston or bent/broken a connecting rod.
Did you try pulling glow plugs and spin the motor over by hand?
I hope not, I drove about 3 blocks from hotel to job side, the knock was to loud so I was only going about 10 mph , when I got to job site I put in park and was on the phon with auto tech then it stopped and would not turn over. I m only 20k miles in to a remanufactured long block, new front cover, new injector harness, new oil cooler, new oil pump, new rocker arms .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The about tech says he can spin it 1/4 each way and then it's stops . He did not say anything about glow plugs?

·
Registered
6,591 Posts
Usually when it starts to knock the damage is done.

Only being able to turn it over a 1/4 turn says that it is hydro locked, so the cylinder is full of one of 3 liquids. A tear down is the only recourse now.

·
Registered
6,591 Posts
The knocking is from a connecting rod or something banging on the side of the cylinder.

As for it being a complete loss, that will be determined once it is torn down. Connecting rods have a habit of going through cylinder walls, but with it being locked up as it is it may just of caused a problem and didn't destroy anything. But until at the bare minimum the heads come off you will not know.

Reactions: eelona83

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The knocking is from a connecting rod or something banging on the side of the cylinder.

As for it being a complete loss, that will be determined once it is torn down. Connecting rods have a habit of going through cylinder walls, but with it being locked up as it is it may just of caused a problem and didn't destroy anything. But until at the bare minimum the heads come off you will not know.
Hopefully it's not a loss .thanks for your input
Update: shop says that it will not turn after glow plugs wer removed, that he can hear a clanking noise coming from lower part of motor. He says that the cab has to come off and there's no telling if the motor is a loss or not, until it's opened up. Should I have him open it up ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I

·
Super Moderator
5,418 Posts
Could have bent or broken a connecting rod. Which would require an overhaul, providing the block is salvageable. There is likely cylinder/piston damage also

1 - 11 of 11 Posts