Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all I have a 08 6.4 that is deleted and it has 177k on the ticker. A few days ago I did not add any additive until right before I drove the truck and temps were around -10. I had a full tank of fuel. I started the truck and let it warm up for a good 15 min then drove about 5 miles and it acted totally fine, then it lost power (going 60 put pedal down more noticed it wouldn't accelerate). It then died, and I was able to start it again and it ran horribly rough and I made it about 300 yards and it died again. It wouldn't start after that. I assumed it gelled.

So we checked the filter under the hood and it didn't appear to be gelled. We then towed it home and let it thaw out in 70* temps with a salamander heater blowing under it for a good 5 hours. Wont start, just cranks. Eventually it was to the point where it tried to fire a few times but just barely.

So we took it to our diesel mechanic and he does not think it gelled and he thinks it is the HPFP, but he still does not know if that is it or not. He changed both filters... He said it will not build pressure.

The codes I got on my mini maxx were: p0087, p2291, u3f00, u3f22, p006b, and p0196.

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be or do you think it is the HPFP? ( I sure hope not... don't want to dump thousands into a truck with 177k ) I am now afraid the truck is going to be a "ticking time bomb" and I plan on selling it once it is fixed and getting a 6.7 and just leaving it stock so I have a warrantee.

One other thing to note was I bought my fuel the night before this happened from Murphy USA (Walmart) and I am wondering if ****ty fuel didn't cause this because I never buy fuel there. I was down to 50mi to empty when I filled up.

Thanks for any input..

·
they call me tater salad
298 Posts
is there any shavings in the bottom of the filter bowl?

·
Registered
59 Posts
It was definitely cold enough for your fuel to gel, and it sounds like you had bad fuel on top of that. If it was gelled, you didn't do the HPFP any favors by cranking it over and over again with no fuel pressure.

The upper filter isn't the one that gels, it's the lower one. That's my experience anyway.

That's a lot of codes. I hope it's not serious. Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just went through all most the same thing on my truck but it only had the p2291 code. It would not build any pressure so I replaced the hpfp and the new one was bad after the second one it would build pressure but fuel was just running out of the exhaust ended up replacing all 8 injectors as well. Good luck

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sounds like you got bad fuel. The hpfp on 6.4 do not tolerate water at all. I would contact where you got the fuel (if you have the receipt) you'll need to have proof it was bad fuel too so get ford or a shop to diagnose that. Gas stations have insurance for that reason.

I get fuel at a place where diesel is being used all the time. I save all my receipts and write down my mileage when I fill up on the receipt incase I get bad fuel.

Also your water in fuel light won't come on at all because our pumps are so sensitive even a very small amount can destroy it.

·
sooty
409 Posts
pull the fuel filter that is on the frame rail. if it is covered in paste, the fuel is gelled.

the other way to tell is to turn the ignition on and then push in the needle on the test port on the fuel cooler and see if fuel runs out.

it could be a chaffed hpfp harness with the p0087 code.

·
Registered
301 Posts
To the guy who had to replace all 8 injectors, its extremely common. Shavings from the pump get into the rails and therefor into the injectors. ANY form of debris in the fuel system and might as well go ahead and bend over. HPFP, rails, and injectors will need to be replaced.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts