Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 08 f350 6speed. I’m wanting to flush the cooling system so I know where I’m at with the coolant. I plan on installing filter before the flush. I have 8 gal of final charge already. My questions are more about what flush to use and how to refill. Read something about not being able to refill as I would in other system through the surge tank. Any info would be appreciated.

·
Professional American, guarding our constitution.
9,453 Posts
Are you deleted? If you have easy access to the thermostat cover pop that off and shove a garden hose in there with the petcock on the bottom of the rad open. While you're flushing run it for a minute here then a minute there 5 minutes later. Then let it all drain and start over.

Don't put the filter on before your flush, you're just gonna wash all that crap into new clean stuff. If you want to see why to run a coolant filter check out the pix I just put up in the unbelievable pic thread, a few pages back from the last page.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ll check that out. I’m really wondering about getting air in when refill. Some people seem to think it’s a big deal some seem to not worry about it to much and fill from surge tank and watch level

·
Master BS'er
5,931 Posts
I guess my question is if you are not supposed to fill it from the reservoir, then where the hell are you supposed to fill it?

Quick tip, fill it slowly. Leave a hole in the stream to let air out as you're filling, that way you won't have to top it off after a test drive. Kinda hard to explain. But even if you trap some air, it's really not a big deal at all.

·
9,453 Posts
Agreed. And don't freak out after you drive a little bit then see half your degas bottle gone. However you go at it just try to do your best to get as much air out as possible but expect it to drop a bit after driving.

I asked if your EGR was deleted because with that vertical cooler out of the way you can get right at the thermo housing and get directly into the block with a hose. So what if a new o-ring costs $4, how much you already spend on coolant?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya I’m going to change thermostats anyway. And I had Sean people saying you have to fill with a vacuum fill. Whatever there called but wasn’t sure.

·
Master BS'er
5,931 Posts
I've seen those vacuum lift or whatever they're called, we actually have one. Never used one.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Was just wondering if anyone had problems if just filling through degas bottle by a jug.

·
9,453 Posts
I've seen those vacuum lift or whatever they're called, we actually have one. Never used one.
They're for people that Lemon Pledge their tools before putting them back in their Dale Earnhardt edition Crap-On rolling tool......trailer.

·
Master BS'er
5,931 Posts
In college I saw a Maximizer. That's Mac's giant toolbox, A 25,000 dollar tool box I would add. It was sweet, but 25 g's is a little rich for my blood.

Hey, I would love to have a giant tool box. Ya know, the ones with lockers and sh*t built right in. That would be awesome.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is it worth doing the restore and restore plus of my eot and ect aren’t to far apart? Maybe just flush with water to get the gold out?

·
9,453 Posts
Take them out and see if they're full of schmootz then decide from there.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Will do. Going to drive it a bit before i do it just in case something happens they can’t say me messing with it caused some problem

·
9,453 Posts
If you've got no fault warranty time, sure... burn it up and hammer the pis out of that truk... Get it to break while it's covered.

Is it or isn't it deleted? And did you get it handshake deal or from a place that has doors that separate the sales from service departments with a pot of half decent coffee in between?

It's prudent to hold off putting socket marks all over a bunch of fasteners tho....for now

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It is deleted but I bought it from a ford dealer. Took it back to have fan clutch replaced( it never shut off and was binding) and the hydro booster replaced( was leaking). Makes me think they don’t look at them much before selling. I diagnosed those two things 250 miles after buying and before I bought I had to tell them it had a sticking front caliper( fixed before I took it home after buying). Not much of a warranty but being I had just bought it they took care of it. But want to make sure it’s not going to have a prob before I start wrenching on it. But I haven’t even looked at my eot ect differences.

·
9,453 Posts
If the EGR coolers are gone you have plenty of room to get at the thermo housing to do your flush

1 - 20 of 26 Posts