Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
<---droppin bombs :)
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my grandpa has an 08 6.4, he is wanting me to find any mechanical concerns before he starts modding it...anything helps guys, grandpa is ready to crank the power up on his stroker:tree::ford:

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
my grandpa has an 08 6.4, he is wanting me to find any mechanical concerns before he starts modding it...anything helps guys, grandpa is ready to crank the power up on his stroker:tree::ford:
6.4s have been pretty good for the most part only problem i have had is the leaking radiator and blew a couple ic boots thats about all. they also like to get really hot. egt and coolent temps are all hotter than my 6.0 by quite a bit.

·
GOT WOOD!!!!
648 Posts
The same only problem i have had is radiator leaking and blowing ic boots off. Other then that been a great truck.

·
<---droppin bombs :)
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool thanks, he is really excited to start modding it, since i started working on my 6.0, he has been really curious on what he can do with his, my dad is also wanting to start modding his 96 7.3 as well, i think he is going to start w/ exhuast, intake and a programmer

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
cool thanks, he is really excited to start modding it, since i started working on my 6.0, he has been really curious on what he can do with his, my dad is also wanting to start modding his 96 7.3 as well, i think he is going to start w/ exhuast, intake and a programmer
i would strongly suggest your dad intercools his obs.

·
Registered
193 Posts
internal fuel leaks overfilling the crankcase and diluting the oil and then pushing oil/fuel from the ccv into the intake and overfueling causing melted pistion. water in the fuel locking up the high pressure fuel pump which then strips the cam gears causing pistion to valve contact destroying the entire long block. leaking egr coolers that hydro-lock the engine bending rods and even breaking pistions into seven pieces. injector tips cracking overfueling cylinder and melting the piston. camshaft lobes worn flat causing low compression. rocker arm tips worn flat causing a typewriter type tapping noise. high pressue turbos locking up and scattering sending metal thru the low pressure turbo and out the drain tubes into the crankcase where it then goes thru the low pressure oil pump causing loss of oil pressure and damages rod and main bearings. just minor problems :smirk:

·
GOT WOOD!!!!
648 Posts
internal fuel leaks overfilling the crankcase and diluting the oil and then pushing oil/fuel from the ccv into the intake and overfueling causing melted pistion. water in the fuel locking up the high pressure fuel pump which then strips the cam gears causing pistion to valve contact destroying the entire long block. leaking egr coolers that hydro-lock the engine bending rods and even breaking pistions into seven pieces. injector tips cracking overfueling cylinder and melting the piston. camshaft lobes worn flat causing low compression. rocker arm tips worn flat causing a typewriter type tapping noise. high pressue turbos locking up and scattering sending metal thru the low pressure turbo and out the drain tubes into the crankcase where it then goes thru the low pressure oil pump causing loss of oil pressure and damages rod and main bearings. just minor problems :smirk:
WOW that is bad luck or something???

·
Registered
193 Posts
poor engineering. on most all common rail high pressue fuel systems the componets are external, the only exception I know of is first generation d-max that had internal fuel injectors. on the 6.4 the pump, fue rails and injectors are all internal and when leaks accure( and there pretty common) then all that fuel goes into the crankcase. the amount of damage all depends on how fast the problem is found.

·
<---new toy
856 Posts
I have had my 09 since 8-17-09 and with 15,000 miles on it. no codes ever. I did a Sct done my Eric @ Innovative Diesel, complete 4" exhaust w/ muffler, S&B cold air intake, and cold side pipe. the truck runs better than any of my past powerstrokes, and I've had 7 of them.

·
GOT WOOD!!!!
648 Posts
I hear you!! i had a 08 F350 with nothing but problems tranny, turbo, front end, exhaust sensors....... I have a 09 F350 now with 29,000km and runs awesome getting the spartan, 5" exhaust downpipe back with S&B cold air intake. Hope this set up works good for me, have heard lots of good thinks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts