Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody!! I'm posting this because I had an issue with my 2010 6.4 losing power, not producing boost and barely being able to make it to 40mph. I would turn the truck off and it would be fine again for another 15 mins or so but then power down again and would barely accelerate. Eventually I got a CEL and it gave me P040D.

P040D- Related to the Exhaust Gas Re circulation Temperature Sensor
(EGRT SENSOR A)

FORD PART NUMBER - 8C3Z-12B591-E (should be a squared connector!!!!) THIS IS THE A Position Sensor

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN- TSB 11-6-15

ISSUE:

Some 2008-2010 Super Duty vehicles equipped with the 6.4 may exhibit a DTC P040D realted to the EGRT located on the right hand turbocharger inlet pipe. (behind inner fender cover on pass side)

To Replace...

Turn ignition switch to the off position

Remover Right hand side front inner fender cover/splash guard using 5.5 mm and 8 mm sockets. There are also 2 bolts on the bottom of the cover behind the front bumper and a Phillips head screw on the bottom of the fender itself.

Locate the sensor, it should be to the upper left hand corner past the fender well towards to back of the firewall, right next to the down pipe for the exhaust. Once located you may have to soak it in penetrating lube. cut the wire just above the sensor nut so you can get a socket on it. Remove with a 14mm socket.

Pop the hood and locate where the sensor wires plugged into the harness, it should be in the far back of the engine compartment a little further and to the right of the transmission dip stick, once located disconnect and pull out. The harness is mounted just above the head on the passenger side and to disconnect you have to reach under it to press the two plastic tabs together to dislodge it from the mount.

Take you new sensor, part number 8C3Z-12B591-E (dealer cost is 46.00, most should expect to pay about $60) and connect it into the harness where the old connector came out. shimmy the probe and nut end of the new sensor down to the turbo charger inlet pipe and re-secure the harness connection at the bracket just above the head.

Crawl back into the wheel well on the passenger side and apply anti-seize to the new sensors 14mm nut threads. Hand tighten then torque to 32 lb-ft.

Shes good as new now. Some have said they cleared the code before starting the truck, I didn't clear it and it never came back either.

trucks running good now no complaints. Hope I wasn't to confusing. Feel free to ask ?s

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ksruffin. Im having the issue. With My 6.4 will still get up to speed but it takes a long time. My truck is throwing the same code P040D. It's going to the shop , so is it ok to drive because I have to have it for a day yet before it goes onto the shop? I did forget to add, my 6.4 is not blowing white smoke.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ksruffin. Im having the issue. With My 6.4 will still get up to speed but it takes a long time. My truck is throwing the same code P040D. It's going to the shop , so is it ok to drive because I have to have it for a day yet before it goes onto the shop? I did forget to add, my 6.4 is not blowing white smoke.
Did new EGR temp sensor fix?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts