Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it true the 6.4 engine block is basically the 6.0 block with slightly bigger pistons and head bolts?

I did some search but couldn't find an exact answer

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
diesel power had a good article when the 6.4 first came out, they are alot different and alot the same, i have heard that the cam sits lower on the 6.4 as well as some other changes, not sure how true but i will dig around for some info.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'm just curious if it is....I'd be interested in getting a 6.4 long block to replace a tired 6.0 and freshen up the heads and make the necessary tuning changes.

·
<-•DEISEL CRAFT•
565 Posts
iv done a couple re build of cores and from what i can see is that the head bolts a larger and the v is diff cuz 6.4l oil cooiler in v is dry so u dont have your spot for the filter and the turbo pedistal is diff cuz it has oil in it

dont know if cam is higher or lower from the rear with the rear cover off it looks the same as a 6.0l

just the 6.4 is coomon rail

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I suppose it would be easier to bore a 6.0 block to use 6.4 pistons? I'm guessing they are the same crank..seeing how both strokes are identical.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The water jackets are smaller on the 6.4 block. also the low pressure oil system is plummed differnt. It would be much easier to just bore your 6.0 block.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do they make head gaskets with bigger bores? That way the gasket isn't hanging over the larger bore and creating a hot spot..Or maybe the stock gasket has a bore that is just big enough for this. Sorry for all the questions

·
Captain Negativity!
3,109 Posts
The 6.4L piston uses a much bigger wrist pin. And the rod journal is larger on the 6.4L as well. Then if you wanted to swap the crank you will find that the gear on the 6.4 is different and isn't compatible with 6.0L cam.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haha man I'm glad you know all this...so what about a custom rod..or do they make oversize pistons for th 6.0. Sounds like the 6.4 physically can handle more power for longer with bigger pins and larger journals.

I remember reading the helical cuts on the 6.4 is different..I'm guessing thats why it doesnt work with the 6.0 cam

·
Captain Negativity!
3,109 Posts
Handle more power with larger journals? You realize top fuel hemi is about a half an inch smaller on the rod journals and about .400 smaller on the wrist pins.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts