Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Big Sun fanatic
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I did a quick search but couldn't find much on this motor. I've got one in a boom boat that's overheating at present, just wondering if anyone has any info on it? It has the ford sticker on top of the valve cover, but so does my IH 7.3. Is it a true ford engine?

Thanks

·
Administrator
8,563 Posts
probably a 6.6 brazilian ford diesel engine.

·
Big Sun fanatic
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
probably a 6.6 brazilian ford diesel engine.
nope.. i have pics clearly showing 6.2 liter displacement on the engine id tag. i'd post em but i'm on horrible internet in camp until tomorrow night. i'll get some close ups of the turbo too, although it looks tiny compared to a stock 7.3 turbo.

·
Running at last...
2,789 Posts
I think you might have to post up some pictures.... the only inline six that for had that i know of is a 6.6L a 7.8L and a 4.0L ..... these are the only one I am aware of..

·
Big Sun fanatic
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think you might have to post up some pictures.... the only inline six that for had that i know of is a 6.6L a 7.8L and a 4.0L ..... these are the only one I am aware of..

Well, I'll give this a try.

The pic is not great, I didn't have my camera and couldn't figure out how to shut off the flash on the one I borrowed.

·
Administrator
8,563 Posts
that is what i thought it may be.
ford industrial division is completely different than the automotive engines.

·
Big Sun fanatic
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that is what i thought it may be.
ford industrial division is completely different than the automotive engines.
does this mean it would be ruled out for sled pulling then? i like the idea of a one off vehicle, and have a 78 f250 that would look pretty mean with this under the hood. it tickles me pink to think of a ford 6 stickin it to the cummins trucks. this thing is a blast to drive, and will throw you off your feet when you hit the throttle if you aren't holding on. that being said, i realize the gearbox and prop have alot to do with it's characteristics but it certainly has power to spare...

·
Administrator
8,563 Posts
anything is possible.
i would guess that is about 200 hp.

·
Registered
389 Posts
It looks like one of the rebadged Perkins engines Ford used in the 80's. It looks very similar to the "ford/perkins" engines used in the New Holland balewagons. Perhaps a 6-374? I think it to big to be a 6-354.

·
Running at last...
2,789 Posts
So.. Have you found anything out with this engine???

·
Registered
160 Posts
Perkins, all the torque on a boat is the pitch of the prop.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Looks like a 354 with horizontal turbo, common marine engine

·
Running at last...
2,789 Posts
Looks like a 354 with horizontal turbo, common marine engine
But the problem with that is... A 354 CI engine would only be a 5.9L engine..

Being it is a 6.2L that would make it a 375-380 CI engine.... That is the reason i do not think it is a perkins.. But hey I could be wet. Just could not find a 6.2L perkins anywhere...

·
Registered
160 Posts
That's just what it looked like to me from the picture and I couldn't think of the displacement of the 354.

·
Running at last...
2,789 Posts
That's just what it looked like to me from the picture and I couldn't think of the displacement of the 354.

Yes i know what you mean.. It does look like a old industrial Perkins..

·
Registered
389 Posts
Then it may be a 6-374??

1 - 20 of 27 Posts