Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum. Just want to thank members for the wealth of knowledge here. Just put about 1500 miles of heavy towing (10,000lbs) on my pickup after doing the 6.0L trans cooler upgrade. It dropped tranny temps about 30 deg on average and am amazed at how effective and easy this upgrade was. Also fortunate to have a buddy that works at a wrecker and got me one for $75, This site rocks! Thanks again guys.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,076 Posts
He said he went with a 6.0L cooler. That is a transmission cooler from an F250-F550 with a 6.0L diesel. It replaces the stock cooler out front. It is MUCH more effective than a frame mounted cooler.

·
Exploding the magma
581 Posts
I'm new to this, I apologize. I've got an 04 f250 CCSB with the PSD. I've started to do some towing, and I'd like a supplemental cooler. So was this an extra tranny cooler added on top of his stock one?
You already have the 6.0 cooler. Unless something is very wrong you should have no need for additional cooling

·
Registered
107 Posts
No he has a 7.3 and put a 6.0 cooler on his truck

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,076 Posts
I'm new to this, I apologize. I've got an 04 f250 CCSB with the PSD. I've started to do some towing, and I'd like a supplemental cooler. So was this an extra tranny cooler added on top of his stock one?
You don't need any more transmission cooling.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I havent removed my grill on my 2002, but i sure cant see a tranny cooler there. Looking from the underside, I see a power steering cooler, but no tranny. The only lines to the tranny seem to go into the bottom of the radiator.

am I missing something, or did certain trucks not come with a tranny cooler aside from one side of the radiator?

Are there mounts to put a 6l cooler in there that I cant see?

How does one ID a 6l cooler? The local junkyard has them for 35 bucks, but they are all on a rack, and not labeled.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,076 Posts
You're missing something, all 2002 trucks had a cooler in the radiator and an air to oil cooler, too. The mounts that the additional cooler is attached to will accept the 6.0L cooler without modification.

I'd find a better junkyard or buy a known good cooler, ie, new.

·
Exploding the magma
581 Posts
I havent removed my grill on my 2002, but i sure cant see a tranny cooler there. Looking from the underside, I see a power steering cooler, but no tranny. The only lines to the tranny seem to go into the bottom of the radiator.

am I missing something, or did certain trucks not come with a tranny cooler aside from one side of the radiator?

Are there mounts to put a 6l cooler in there that I cant see?

How does one ID a 6l cooler? The local junkyard has them for 35 bucks, but they are all on a rack, and not labeled.
You polly have the air dam blocking your view, I have the same issue. The easiest thing to do is remove the bumper, four bolts on the front of the bumper and one on each side on the frame rail.

Here is a 6.0 cooler...looks like a small radiator:

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,076 Posts
No, it won't. The 6.0L cooler has 1/2" lines. The OBS used 5/16".

·
Registered
1,959 Posts

·
Exploding the magma
581 Posts
Can he use pipe fittings like we use for the 7.3?
I would run either a 5/16 to 1/2 hose mender or some combo of 1/2 to 5/16...there is rubber line on the obs trucks, right?

·
Exploding the magma
581 Posts
Does everyone upgrade to 1/2 line? And I think obs uses rubber in some parts. At that point you could just get adaptors I believe
Ok if you got rubber line then either the hose menders or something like 1/2 hose and male NPT(or AN, JIC, etc) to female NPT(or AN, JIC etc) and 5/16.

I plan on keeping mine mostly 3/8th just to keep things simple.

·
Registered
85 Posts
what material are the coolers made of?...looking to do the larger 6.0L cooler but it looks like its a barb fitting.. I'd like soem 1/2 npt females or weld a male 8AN fitting to the cooler...are they aluminum or steel?
Thanks,
Deo

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
what material are the coolers made of?...looking to do the larger 6.0L cooler but it looks like its a barb fitting.. I'd like soem 1/2 npt females or weld a male 8AN fitting to the cooler...are they aluminum or steel?
Thanks,
Deo
Why bother? Your lines are 3/8 and the cooler is 1/2. Just get barbed connectors and join them together to make the "splice".

1 - 20 of 26 Posts