Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys this is my first post as I am new to this website, but I have heard good things from fordtruckworld.com guys, I have been there since 2002. Anyways here is the Issue I have that I need a little insight to; when my truck is cold (wether plugged in or not) and I start my drive it will hesitate at certain times and I have noticed a little white smoke coming from the exhaust. When it warms up, all issues disappear. I have heard EGR cooler, Fuel Injector and head gaskets. Could a reflash be an easy fix? What is the Consensus? Also my truck seems to get worse mileage than everyone else with a 6.0L. Most people average around 14-17MPG mixed driving, I get around 12 any thoughts on this? Everything is stock except for a leveling kit and 325/65/18's. Thanks

·
Still learning
368 Posts
Any mod's and what year? You may want to check batteries and FICM voltages to eliminat that. Has milage always been the same or gradually getting worse?

·
Registered
22 Posts
could be a few glowplugs not working that cause white smoke.
rest of issue could be leaky injector.
check your motoroil for diesel contamination,

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Mine does the same thing when its cold. I just ignore it and drive easy till it warms up. Those tires aren't helping the fuel mileage eather

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no performance mods yet. Mileage has seem to stay the same I haven't noticed it dropping off, like I said it runs fine with no smoke after it warms up so I don't think it is an injecter issue. Maybe my diesel is gelling while it sits, im going to try additive and see if that helps. What does diesel contamination consist of? thanks for the replies also my truck is an 05

·
Lookin for Operating Job
234 Posts
Dude I also have an 05 and have the same exact problem. I cant even hardly drive mine when its cold. I recently took it to the shop for oil lead and it was the oil cooler gaskets but they told me my FICM wasnt reading enough voltage(suppose to read 48). So I just sent it off to get rebuilt to SWAMP'SDIESEL.COM instead of getting a brand new one. New=850+150 for programming. 350 to rebuild and program. Then sending to POWERHUNGARYPERFORMANCE.COM to get programmed to the 03-04 original program which adds 3-5mpg. Alot better deal and should hopefully take care of that problem. So other words you should check your FICM to make sure it is reading correctly. Just a thought man.

·
PETE ENGR PSD
973 Posts
....New=850+150 for programming. 350 to rebuild and program. Then sending to POWERHUNGARYPERFORMANCE.COM to get programmed to the 03-04 original program which adds 3-5mpg.
You spent $1000 to get it re-furb and tuned? You cant get a new one and get it tune for 100's less than that :poke:

To the OP I'd test the voltage on your FICM and see what it is running at.

·
Lookin for Operating Job
234 Posts
I also just found this on a sticky on this forum. Figured I would throw it in. The shop also told me I was missing my EGR cooler gaskets were missing. Thats what made me think of it.

· Any exhaust problems visible (i.e. lots of white or blue smoke)? White smoke may mean an EGR cooler leak.

·
Lookin for Operating Job
234 Posts
I was just saying thats what it cost from ford to buy a new one and have them program it. I sent it to the other places I mentioned.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts