Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my story.....

Have an '04 6.0L, its got 104k miles (168k kms for us Canadians), never been chipped or driven hard, occasionally pulled a car trailer, but majority of the miles were empty highway. It was my old company truck that I had from pretty much new, it had a driving monitor on it, so it was never driven over 70 mph or bagged around town. I bought it from my work with 93k miles and since then have only added an aftermarket 4" exhaust and nothing else. FICM was replaced under warranty a long time ago and thats the only issue I had with it until now. I am very anal about my vehicles, it was maintained very well, regular oil changes, fuel filters changed, etc.

Was about 100 miles from home and heard the death noise from under the hood, smoking bad, barely running, pulled over and shut it down. Hauled it to the dealer, they found that injector 4 wasn't working properly, so they pulled it out and it was mechanically damaged.....uh oh, so we did a compression test on that cylinder and it was 0. I have a friend with a borescope that takes pictures, so he stuck it in there and found carnage. Dropped a valve. I feel sick looking at the pictures.

Anyone have this happen to them? I know my truck is off warranty, but this kind of failure from a diesel at 104k miles is unacceptable. Wondering if I should fight for warranty.

I think these speak for themselves:

·
Registered
666 Posts
damn. that sucks.

·
Super Hauler!
3,882 Posts
had pretty much the same thing happen on my 7.3 at 80k miles.

·
Registered
381 Posts
:eek:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone have luck getting warranty even though it ran out? I'm not much over on mileage but quite a ways with the time since its an 04.

·
Ballin' on a Budget
1,396 Posts
You probably wont have any luck with a warranty. Not only are you over the mileage but also ~1 year over the time... Sucks about your truck. I have never heard of one doing this.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have never heard of one doing this.
Yeah me neither, and the dealer said the same thing.

I know its a long shot for warranty, especially from the time. I may try anyways, can't hurt.

Anyone interested in a 7 cylinder 6.0L?

·
Damnkids Motorsports
2,260 Posts
My buddies 04 did something similar, though I think a different cause. His had a tuner, had been used pretty good, and had bad headgaskets. He let it go and never got the headstuds put in. Eventually a valve seized in the valve guide from what we believe was corrosion caused from the tap water he had been adding (idiot) instead of the Ford coolant, and then the valve hit the piston, but the rocker arm broke, so no further damage was done. He traded it for a Dodge...

·
Registered
360 Posts
That was more likely caused by a stuck injector overfueling that cylinder than it was a stuck valve. You can try calling the customer assistance people and see if they'll help you out. Never hurts to try.

·
m-chan68
116 Posts
That was more likely caused by a stuck injector overfueling that cylinder than it was a stuck valve. You can try calling the customer assistance people and see if they'll help you out. Never hurts to try.
I agree.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts