Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi... I’m looking at buying a 2003 Ford Super Duty F-350 SRW Lariat
Powerstroke diesel but it’s a 6.0 and has 230000 miles on it... I was wondering how much anyone would pay for that and if it’s just an all around bad idea thanks -j

·
Train Whistlin' Ex driver
55 Posts
When I was looking $15k was my MAX budget. I have noticed though that prices are kind of all over the place. Keep in mind that you need to accept that you could eat 10-15k for a rebuild (, or be willing to do it yourself, and that parts in general are not cheap! If it's been "bullet-proofed" make sure you get the build list and shop where it was done, you'll see a lot of posts where people bought a "bullet-proof" 6.0 only to have big problems because of bad parts or bad work. That said, I bought my Ex last January with 206K on have had 11,000 trouble free miles so far (knock on wood). If you are prone to truck induced paranoia I would steer clear! That said, I got a 6.0 because I wanted one - I've always been less sensible than I should be - but for a pickup I'd be hard pressed to pick a 6.0 over a newer 6.2 gas or and older v10.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Hi... I’m looking at buying a 2003 Ford Super Duty F-350 SRW Lariat
Powerstroke diesel but it’s a 6.0 and has 230000 miles on it... I was wondering how much anyone would pay for that and if it’s just an all around bad idea thanks -j
Two questions for you....

1. Is the motor stock, or has someone gone through it and done the common "bulletproofing" stuff like studs, EGR delete, blue spring, dummy plugs, stand pipes, HPOP....ect, ect....

2. How much extra money do you have in order to fix/repair/maintain the truck?

I paid $12,000 for my 05' F250 with 180,000 miles on it.....appeared to be 100%, mint condition inside and out, only used to tow a camper on the highway. Then a few months after I bought it, I got a head gasket leak and ended up spending about $2,500+ on parts and studs, gaskets, SCT fitting, oil cooler, EGR delete, dummy plugs, stand pips, etc, etc, etc.........just to get it all right.

With a used truck, you never know what you are going to get. Plan on having $2,000+ laying around extra for repair IF you do it yourself....probably $8,000+ if you are going to have a shop do it for you. Like anything used with high miles....it's a crapshoot. That's not to mention the 4-gallons of oil, and filters you need ever 5,000 miles. These trucks are not cheap to maintain.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts