Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Living in Canada and just hate the feeling when I have to cold start the 6.0 unless its been plugged in overnight. (sounds like an antique tractor).

I usually plug it in overnight and cycle the glow plugs a couple times before cranking it over.

Any guidelines/procedures of cold starting or winter prep (0C to -40C).

What do you guys do?

·
Banned
328 Posts
Living in Canada and just hate the feeling when I have to cold start the 6.0 unless its been plugged in overnight. (sounds like an antique tractor).

I usually plug it in overnight and cycle the glow plugs a couple times before cranking it over.

Any guidelines/procedures of cold starting or winter prep (0C to -40C).

What do you guys do?
Anti gelling adtives.
5w40 T6 oil

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
17 Posts
I live in upstate N.Y. and I use a small amount of 911 along with Power Service winter. I also find cycling the glow plugs about 5 or 6 times works well too!

·
super tuner
164 Posts
For whatever reason my truck lights off with a touch of the key and its consistently been about 10-20 degrees at night where I am. I just run white bottle power service at every fill up. Im currently running 15-40 rotella but I will be switching to rotella T6 and adding rev-x. Look into rev-x oil additive most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about it.

·
scouts out...
246 Posts
Rotella t6, anti gel additive, and good maintenance. My truck fires off like any other day down to about -15 then I have to cycle the plugs and it is alittle grumpy.

·
Banned
2,444 Posts
Warren Diesel's Modified Solenoids if you have stiction.
If not, run the Arctic Version on Diesel Kleen.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I run 5w-40 synthetic. Use some power service in the white bottle in the fuel... have never had a problem. Mine will start right up at -18 actual temp (lowest temp I have started it at this year). I have new batteries, I turn the key on, let the glow plugs run until the fuel pump stops, turn off the key, then back on until the gp light goes off. Usually lites right off with minimal cranking... Yeah it sounds a little angry for 30 seconds, but it smooths out fast enough.

On a side note, Is it just mine or does the block heater not work that great on these 6.0s... Don't get me wrong, it works, it does start easier, but it still goes on high idle and takes awhile to warm up. On my 7.3 idi's and my 97 PSD, the block heater plugged in and the heater control on defrost, it would keep the windshield defrosted over night and wouldn't even go into high idle... This 2003 doesn't even think about being that warm after being plugged in overnight.

·
Banned
2,444 Posts
My coolant/block heater gets my ECT up to about 120ish in about 2 hours with the AAT around 20-30°

Sent from my Smart Car

1 - 9 of 9 Posts