Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know a guy who has a stock 07 6.0 that he only drives sometimes due to economy. so he took it in and they said the turbo was gummed up??(story is comming from my wife, no details) and due to the sitting it had caused the problem. they had to remove the turbo and clean it, they said it needs driven regularly and not babied to keep it from happening again. like i said details are not at my fingertips but this all sounds like a joke.

·
I Love Work'N On Hot Rods
1,549 Posts
Well one of the worst things you can do to 6.0 (well any diesel IMO) if you dont drive it that much is to only drive it short distances and even at slow speeds. The problem is that diesels are very inefficient (i.e. smoke and soot a lot) when they are not loaded and "babied". So yes it is definitely plausible IMO that his turbo vanes were stuck due to soot that wasnt burned off because the engine wasnt allowed to get hot but not due to him not driving it.

Basically, you can baby a 6.0 to get good fuel mileage but you need to drive it until it is up to operating temperature and once a week (if you drive it every day) give it a good quick WOT run just to make sure the vanes are kept clean. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Yep get er good and hot up a hill a couple times, if the soot & residue already isn't super coked on, it should clean it up.

·
Registered
728 Posts
In that case, I will never have to worry about my son's getting a lot of soot and residue

1 - 5 of 5 Posts