Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been searching and searching alot of turbo stuff on the non turbo 7.3 as i have a 92idi ive been wanting to turbo im wanting to use a 2003 6.0 turbo because of the loud whistle and jet sounding noise i have to build all my own setup as i have headers and so on wich is fine im just wondering if there is any input on this i have stock head gaskets and head bolt so i am seeing 10 lbs of boost is safe im just curios of any other suggestions or input!

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts
How would you control the vanes?

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
6.0 turbo doesnt use variable vanes. It changes the size of the exhaust housing. There is a guy who sells a standalone harness kit for them so they can be put onto 7.3's and 12v cummins and stuff.

·
Sofa King Awesome.
20 Posts
6.0 turbo doesnt use variable vanes. It changes the size of the exhaust housing. There is a guy who sells a standalone harness kit for them so they can be put onto 7.3's and 12v cummins and stuff.
Do you have a link to a company that sells them? Because everytime I've searched I can't come up with anything... I know they're out there, but I just can't find 'em:doh: I'll bet they're probably worth more than my truck thoughLOL

·
Registered
449 Posts
Not to be an ass I swore 6.0's have veins I know mine does I've had it apart

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts
ROTFLMAO Are you for real?? Wrong!!!

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
Dead serious. We just changed the EGR stuff on my buddies 05 F250 6.0 and had the turbo apart. As I seen it, he explained it, the 6.0 Turbo adjusts the effective exhaust housing size. Smaller on low rpm, then goes bigger.

He said the sequential ring controls the movement of the inside of the housing.

Not correct?

As for the standalone kit, I was wrong.. thats for the holset and duramax turbo's.

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
Ok, I just looked online. Its a difference in wording.

the sequential ring DOES change the size of the exhaust housing, by opening and closing the veins, which are inside of the housing, not part of the wheel itself. It is controlled my engine RPM through hydraulics.

Sorry for any confusion.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i was thinking something along the line of using pretty much the same thing as the 6.0 uses mines the computer it all runs on oil pressure so just vary the oil pressure to the turbo and control the veins. theres quite a bit of talk about this if you search it and my ideas still up in the air im just trying to put pieces together as of right now i know i want a lil more power out of my idi and i want that scream like the 6.0s have

·
bring the chain
1,345 Posts
theirs no hope when you smoke dope!!! dont post,when you dont know!!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I understand how he got confused. NMB2 admitted he was wrong so there is no need to tell him not to post, so get over it man. Anyway, back on topic. I have seen some variable turbos controlled my mechanical means. I'm not sure if they were off Ford, Chevys, or Dodges but they were either controlled by wastegate type actuators or sping setups. From what I have seen on youtube they seem to work well. There were even two kids in the reader's rides section of Diesel Power this month, where one had the spring setup and the other had the wastegate type setup on their Chevys. They also said they were gonna dyno um soon too. I wouldn't mind seeing what they put down with those setups.

·
BrokeAss
841 Posts
Search youtube, don't remember what it was called, but there is a guy with the 6.0 turbo on a 7.3 obs stroke. You might be able to find a build thread from there.
I will try to find it. I got the youtube link from this site somewhere..
Found it.
Idk if it will help or not.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
That truck sounds good. I think that trubo would work well on an idi.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes i saw that video thought it was pretty nice ive been thinking of using a way to control the oil pressure or use the vgt and control the voltage to it as far as using a waste gate i was thinking of putting one on just to keep from over boosting until i could get its properly tuned if i can get it to work having full function of it would be the ideal plus i love the way they sound!
and as far as the spring ideal on that article i still am not sure of its operation if there was more detail maybe but how would that work with the 6.0 turbo

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Both the spring and the waste gate control the vane angle. My take on it is that as the boost builds, it puts pressure on the springs and slowly overpowers the spring to change the angles of the vanes. Its pretty much the same thing with the waste gate setup I would think also.

·
IDI for life
338 Posts
Wow that turbo is insanely loud. Like think about a muffler loud. Think it would drive me nuts in my truck let alone everyone else.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
IMO its not too loud. I think its about perfect for me. But on the other hand, I am good at ignoring sounds that bother me. LOL But I don't think that beautiful sound could be even close to ever bothering me at all.

·
IDI for life
338 Posts
Maybe its just the video, a buddy of mine has a straight 4" on his 6.0 and sounds pretty wicked. That thing tho.... ouch, my ears are bleeding. Seems like it would be about the same as having a kid in the backseat with a whistle everytime you go somewhere.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Lol. Idk some of the 6.0 diesels I have heard have sounded like jets with a 4" exhaust and a hot tune. Those turbos in general just sound wicked. I have even heard that companies are upgrading them to push more boost. I wonder what those sound like?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts