Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, looking for some help. I replaced my temp sensor in my transmission today. I had the tow haul light flashing and no temp reading on gauges. No codes came up. Recent work, just had head gaskets done and re studded. Here’s the order:
1. Drained pan, replaced plug and dropped pan. Pan looks good, clean with a bit of fuzz on the magnet.
2. removed filter, let drain. Did not have a new one but it was replaced not too long ago.
3. unplugged sensor, removed old, drained, installed new one (motorcraft). Plugged back in.
4. Reinstalled filter, but this may be my first mistake. I didn’t remove the orange washer. I just put filter back up and in. It was snug and as far up as would go. Re-installed pan.
5. Filled dipstick tube with 8 quarts. Started truck and let run. Checked dipstick, seemed low. Put truck in drive, reverse and neutral and now no shifting. The rpm’s change as I move the selector, selector moves to R N and D. But truck not moving.
6. scanned it and got P0713 code, temp sensor high voltage. Added 2 more quarts and checked shifting again. Same problem. Removed battery connections and re connected to clear code. Code has not come back.

Trans temp is now showing good, so sensor works. Pulled the drain plug on pan because I assumed now I over filled it. Nothing came out. Pulled the pan, pulled filter and orange grommet washer. Some drained out, maybe a quart and a half. Is it possible all the fluid is stuck in the torque converter? Have I missed something? Messed up? Maybe the solenoid was bad, not the temp sensor? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks all!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey all, looking for some help. I replaced my temp sensor in my transmission today. I had the tow haul light flashing and no temp reading on gauges. No codes came up. Recent work, just had head gaskets done and re studded. Here’s the order:
1. Drained pan, replaced plug and dropped pan. Pan looks good, clean with a bit of fuzz on the magnet.
2. removed filter, let drain. Did not have a new one but it was replaced not too long ago.
3. unplugged sensor, removed old, drained, installed new one (motorcraft). Plugged back in.
4. Reinstalled filter, but this may be my first mistake. I didn’t remove the orange washer. I just put filter back up and in. It was snug and as far up as would go. Re-installed pan.
5. Filled dipstick tube with 8 quarts. Started truck and let run. Checked dipstick, seemed low. Put truck in drive, reverse and neutral and now no shifting. The rpm’s change as I move the selector, selector moves to R N and D. But truck not moving.
6. scanned it and got P0713 code, temp sensor high voltage. Added 2 more quarts and checked shifting again. Same problem. Removed battery connections and re connected to clear code. Code has not come back.

Trans temp is now showing good, so sensor works. Pulled the drain plug on pan because I assumed now I over filled it. Nothing came out. Pulled the pan, pulled filter and orange grommet washer. Some drained out, maybe a quart and a half. Is it possible all the fluid is stuck in the torque converter? Have I missed something? Messed up? Maybe the solenoid was bad, not the temp sensor? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks all!
It’s a 2007 F350 6.0

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,306 Posts
Pulled the drain plug on pan because I assumed now I over filled it. Nothing came out.
That means that you were WAY underfilled. Overfilled will not prevent it from engaging into gear, but underfilled will.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply Mark. I estimate about 12 - 14 quarts came out or about 2/3 of a 5 gallon pail worth. I put 12 back in. I will add some more. Anything I need to do when starting it? Does it have to go into Neutral?

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,306 Posts
It doesn't have to be in neutral. Start the engine and after it has run for one minute check the dipstick. Add more fluid if needed. Then warm it up and check the level again. Always check with the engine running.

Reactions: Qholic
1 - 7 of 7 Posts