Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrigh this is gonna be kind of a wierd swap to you guys but I will explain why we are doing it.

Our 03 F350 4X4 6.0 Auto spends its whole life on the beach in california rusting away and getting abused by neglectful employees

When we bought the truck new, we opted for the best warranty that was available and thank god we did.

We are now on our 3rd 6.0 now and its on its last leg and since we dont necessarily need a diesel to pull our trailers anymore, he wants to put a simple 5.4 triton in it.

My question is, do we have to stick to the same year for the donor engine for smog regulations?

What tranny should we put in it?

Where could I find motor mounts and all the other hard parts?

Any input would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
269 Posts
Truth?more than likely Cheaper to sell it and buy a 5.4 truck like a f150....or buy a wrecked (rolled would more than likely be best) 5.4 truck and swap what you need over... And yes iirc for Cali it has to be the same year or newer...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This truck is seriously rusted, frame wise.

Body is perfect but it has black fiberglass fenders, aluminum flat-dump(?) bed, a poorly functioning winch and a horrible interior.

Basically we could probably get less than 1000 dollars for the truck.

I guess we could bullet proof a new 6.0 and not worry about it failing again, but then it wouldnt really pass smog, which CARB is allowed to come to our place of bussiness and conduct emissions testing without notice, so purposely making something not pass smog is a no go for us. Also that would mean we would have to actually buy a new engine compared to the warranty covering it.

Do you guys know of a better engine than the 5.4 triton?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We use older body style 350s with 460s in them and the engines have plenty power.

We just leave them in 4 low all the time when towing, just unlocking the hubs when you go on to the street.

If it was legal this would have a 12 valve in it instantly

·
Registered
269 Posts
I really think after checking California auto trader that buying a 5.4 used f250/f350 is the best bet I found 15 in one search 4x4 5.4L all under 10k and with mileage ranging from 72k up to 200k+ I really believe that you part out the 6.0l ( the FICM and injector cores are worth $1000 in them selves...) let alone any tranny or other usable parts.. Intercooler dash headlights grill.... Take that and buy a used 5.4 there were even some 05 and ups in that search with the much better riding coil spring front ends...I think you would be into 6-9k just for a swap...IMHO.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What other parts would be worth while parting out?

I'm not trying to get request for weird stuff like air conditioning compressors or anything like that, mostly valuable engine components

Also looks like we are just going to buy a used f250/350 5.4 4x4 auto and use the gears (if possible), dump bed, winch & wheels

·
Registered
269 Posts
Did you have the truck re geared? If not it will more than like have the same ratio as the 5.4 or the 5.4 could even have a lower( numerically) than the diesel.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Also I manage a commercial fleet and we have also had to replace neglected 5.4s. With less than 100k on them..FWIW.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
keeping those though since we can either put them in one of our other trucks that tows alot (well over 10k pounds) or the 5.4 we will buy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts