Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well recently ive been listening to my truck with the windows down and music off. I may be getting paranoid with all these sounds I hear like most 6.0 owners lol. Anyway There is this tick/knock going on. It goes while its running and parked and this tick/knock goes faster while driving depending on while the rpms are going higher and lower. This sound is driving me crazy. Ive been looking around for answers but I haven't found one while this sound was going on while parked and running. So i'm hoping some experts here can help me out. Also, before I forget, I had put a new ficm from ford and had it reflashed about a month ago. Its all pretty much stock besides an EGR delete from sinister. Thanks.

·
Along for the ride
185 Posts
From the video...sounds like a 6.0. Really can't hear anything strange.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I heard it on my phone. But if you listen real close you can hear this tick. It goes tick tick tick tick tick over and over. Its driving me insane! Also Ive listened to the 6.0's at my work. None of them have this tick going all. Their all nice and tight sounding.

·
i like to party
1,415 Posts
Nothing sounds out of the ordinary to me, sounds great actually. Those ticks are your injectors firing, thats the nature of the HEUI injection. What oil do you have in your truck? thicker oil makes things noisier.

The thinner and better quality the oil the smoother and quieter the truck will run.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Mine has always had that same sound while my brother-in-law's doesn't. Makes me think I have an injector issue. My truck also blows a lot of blue smoke when starting in the morning when its in the 40s or lower.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im not sure what kind of oil it has in it to be honest. I bought the truck about 2 months ago. I know im going to be switching to synthetic on my next oil change. But this tick is really loud. I can hear it a few feet away from the passenger side of my truck. I have not had any blue smoke, and hopefully never get it :p

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its not that kind of sound that im hearing. Its kind of like baseball cards in spokes. Sounds a little different than that, but its pretty loud when im at a light sitting next to another car.

·
<--won't start
235 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of 6.0 paranoia.

i put on over the ear headphones and listened to it a couple of times.

22 seconds in, to about 28 seconds gives the clearest example of the sound your describing. It sounds just like mine though, IMO(which you should take very lightly).
it is really hard to tell just from the audio in the video.

On a side note: That is one clean engine bay. You bought it through a dealer?

Just to start eliminating things, you may want to find out some history. (not saying anything is wrong)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info so far everybody. I will be trying revx next. Anywho, yes I bought it through a dealer. Carfax was clean and the oasis report seemed pretty good to me and a few others that have looked at it. The worst thing on it that was reported was a rough idle. Which I pretty much have fixed with the new ficm. But all in all, was a really nice truck for being a one owner vehicle. Time to start narrowing down these problems and sound!

·
Registered
266 Posts
mine started doin that to after i switched from 15w40 to 5w40 and kinda got a randome skip at idle every once in a while at op. temp, i just put rev x in today and have drivin the truck maybe 10 miles and can already feel an improvement in how it runs the skip is gone or just hasnt happend yet and the tick i was hearing is gone so rev-x is the real deal if you ask me!

·
Registered
221 Posts
:doh: :popcorn:

·
Well Hung Member
635 Posts
thats what i heard, was if anything a small exhaust leak, and yea just a little one will sound like a tick tick tick

·
Registered
61 Posts
use a rubber hose and put it up to each runner on the exhaust manifold that will tell you where the leak is

·
Registered
1 Posts
I realize I am extremely late to the party. Just joined so I could pass along this info which I am sure rsama has figured out by now. I had the exact same noise on my 06 which I put up with for upwards of a year. Finally got worse and I couldn’t take it any longer. My local mechanic replaced both belts, 3 pulleys, and 1 belt tensioner. Like magic the noise is gone. Now on to the dreaded cylinder knock which they say is “normal”. I disagree. Just hoping this helps someone else. I have gained a lot of good info here, so thanks to all.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts