Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

what would cause this? swollen converter transmission issue? bad bearing to start with?, I'm rebuilding the engine now the crank was shot and block was almost toast as you can see by the bearing. i want to make sure i don't overlook something going back together because i don't want to do this again the truck had 260k on the clock

·
Registered
406 Posts
do you have any pics of the crank ? i just had a similar problem with my uncles truck broke the crank though thrust bearing looked like that when i removed it not sure if it tooke that beaing out before or after the crank snapped same amount of kms on the clock too heres this link to the one i had apart

busted crankshaft - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the old crank is still at the machine shop, had to re use the gear and adaptor ring off it for a different used crank with low miles that i got a deal on. I'll get some pics of it up to but basically the surface of the crank that is supposed to ride against the bearing is all worn down and grooved really bad, i have been fighting this belt chirp for a really long time only chirped when it got under 50 degrees outside put a new belt on it it would go away for a while then it would always come back,earlier in the summer while i was studding and doing all the normal crap i noticed the front main seal was leaking i pulled the damper off and found the front seal pushed out about half way now at the time i didn't really think to much of it i just replaced it and moved on till this year i got my injectors and turbo and while i was doing my fuel system i was checking everything under the truck out an boom like a slap to the face front seal leaking again so off the dampener came and there it was pushed half way out again so this time i checked end play and i ain't kiddin i had 3/16 to 1/4" end play max spec is.020 so i jerked the engine right there and found the thrust bearing in this condition. the kicker is my good friend has a shop that caters to p stroke owners and he had another truck in there with over 200k on it and i went over to it with a pry bar and it had at least 1/8" play in it i looked at another used engine for sale and it was the same way so if you ask me i think this problem is more common than a guy would think because let's be honest who checks their end play if they don't have an obvious reason to both the other engines i checked had no leak from either front or rear seals, my truck had no other symptoms weird noises or anything it ran great.

·
Registered
406 Posts
you know something i just read your post and it got me thinking this truck of my uncles was eating the belt up like chewed it all to rat sh!t so i changed the tensioner on it and put a new belt on it and a short while later when i had to go and tow his a s s back to my place cause he broke the crank in it i did notice this belt had some chew marks on it too obviously the crank was able to move back and forth (end play) when it was broken but it makes me wonder if it was already on its way out

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yep id put money on it the thrust bearing on your uncles truck went and as a result the crank went right after, i noticed on my truck before i pulled the dampener off the inside two ribs of the belt were missin, makes perfect sense why i had the chirp and why the belt was dinked, what year was your uncles truck?

·
Registered
406 Posts
03 and the belt was missin about the same amount

·
Registered
301 Posts
I had a similar issue, but mine I couldn't keep front seals from leaking. Put one on would go a couple days without leaking then about a month later the forman came in and was like uhm hey I think I blew my truck up...

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so at least two other people have run into this problem I'm glad I'm not the only one

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guys I went in with a chirp and had a new tensioner installed, then a month later the chirp was back, got the tensioner replaced under warranty, then same thing, went through 4 tensioners, and 3 belts, finally a 1/4 of the belt got tore off, so the repair shop removed the fan shroud and watched the movement and then observed the end play in the crank to be nearly a 1/4 inch. My truck is also an 2003 with 170,000 miles. I'm still wondering what the main cause could be on this, and I'm shocked the engine seems to run smooth! I would have never known had the belt not been gettingestroyed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2003 6.0 with 184k. I posted a thread on a transmission front seal leaking issue last week. I had the seal replaced and the bushing in the front pump replaced because the bushing was severely worn. A week later it started leaking tranni fluid again. I was told to check the crankshaft thrust. This just strengthens the need for me to check into this further. I'll definitely be checking this tomorrow. I'll follow with what I find out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2003 6.0 with 184k. I posted a thread on a transmission front seal leaking issue last week. I had the seal replaced and the bushing in the front pump replaced because the bushing was severely worn. A week later it started leaking tranni fluid again. I was told to check the crankshaft thrust. This just strengthens the need for me to check into this further. I'll definitely be checking this tomorrow. I'll follow with what I find out.
What did you find?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts