Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 6.0 is having an intermittent issue. It runs great, but sometimes it will start to surge bad when I return it to an idle. RPM gauge wont move, but it surges. I had the injectors tested to rule them out they are fine. Has a new EBP sensor. The only thing I've found is a hole rusted in the bottom of my downpipe, could this be an issue that would make this happen? Obviously I'm going to fix it, but just want to start having ideas on where to look. Thanks.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,216 Posts
First thing I would do is to unplug the ICP sensor and see if the surging quits.

Check the condition of the connector and wiring after disconnecting the sensor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First thing I would do is to unplug the ICP sensor and see if the surging quits.

Check the condition of the connector and wiring after disconnecting the sensor.

The ICP on an 04 is behind the turbo right? Is it something I can unplug and drive with to see if the surging develops? Unfortunately the issue is so here and there, it'd prob be a bitch to try and unplug while the truck is running when it started.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,216 Posts
The early 04's have the ICP behind the turbo. The later 04's have it moved to the passenger valve cover. Because of the heat, the early ones had a higher failure rate. Often times it is the connector AND sensor (the sensor starts to leak oil and the electrical insulation in the connector and in the harness starts to break down).

Yeah, you don't want to unplug it while running. You can unplug it and drive it for quite awhile that way. I wouldn't do it for weeks and weeks. but a few days of driving is fine.

I saw where someone sold a wiring extension - that made it easier to unplug and reconnect for troubleshooting. It doesn't help any if the sensor is bad.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts