Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
matt
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wanting some input about a slow cold start issue. its not real bad it just dont pop off when the oil is cold. once its warm everything is normal. seems like high pressure oil might be bleading off?

·
LILStroker
11 Posts
Tons of threads on here about cold start issues . Im bettin you will find the exact one relating to your situation. GPR'S are amongst the most popular to go out.

·
matt
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i live in south texas im not talking about cold temps, i mean when the truck sits for a few hours. it can be 100* weather and it will still do it.

·
LILStroker
11 Posts
Ok, misunderstood. Hard starts when warm usually points to a high pressure oil leak from what I know. Possibly a leaky fitting?? Ive seen bad HPOP's as well that will cause this problem but I'd get it scanned to confirm.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I doubt its a HPO issue, that would make it worse when its warm. Also glow plugs rarely fail on 6.0s. What's your FICM voltage? Maybe that or an injector

·
matt
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I replaced #8 and the FICM about 5,000 miles ago but i will check them. I have noticed the battery light comming on for about ten sec when i first start it, and batterys are ok. Its a dual alt.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was having the same issue with my '06 6.0. Joined this site last week and went through the archives and did some research. What I did was switch from Rotella to Valvoline 5W-40 extreme blue synthetic and ordered Hot Shot oil additive direct from Hot Shot. Takes care of the 'stiction' that regular motor oils can create with the injectors. Also I have not been running Motorcraft filters etc. I switched to Motorcraft fuel filters and oil filters. Ford designs their engines with these patented filters in mind. And since they are patented the other aftermarket filters aren't exactly the same and don't quite work exactly as Ford intended their filters to work. For example, the fuel filter(frame rail one) that comes from Fram doesn't have the O ring that the Motorcraft filter does(Patent). This O ring acts as the water/fuel seperator. So after I did all this the truck is not only starting much easier, Its MPG improved quite a bit as well. Before you spend money elsewhere I would try this first. As others on this site will hopefully agree, it is what the 6.0 basically demands. Rev X is another oil additive that you can order as well that seems highly recommended on this great site. Powerstrokehelp.com also has some videos on youtube that I found helpful. Good Luck.

·
Administrator
32,966 Posts
And since they are patented the other aftermarket filters aren't exactly the same and don't quite work exactly as Ford intended their filters to work. For example, the fuel filter(frame rail one) that comes from Fram doesn't have the O ring that the Motorcraft filter does(Patent). This O ring acts as the water/fuel seperator. l. Good Luck.
that o- ring was an update and it keeps the fuel /water from bypassing if the filter clogs
Motorcraft fuel and oil filters are Made by Racor and the Racor brand is the exact same check diesel filters online for great pricing

I agree on running syn

·
matt
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I use all motorcraft filters and oil already but I havnt tried any additives yet, I'll give that a shot. Good info thanks!!

·
matt
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I plan on that before the cool weather gets here.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Revx will help your stiction but the battery light is probably indicative of your alternator going out slowly.

·
matt
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
its a dual alt. but only one runs until the other is needed right?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts