Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 F250 with 6.0 diesel. Driving down the road the engine shut off. No warning, did not run rough just quit. Pulled over after letting it sit for about 10 minutes it will fire right back up with no hesitation, go about 6 to 8 miles down the road and it did it again. Once again let it sit for about 10 minutes and it fired right back up and will run with no problem> made it to an autozone checked for codes NONE. I drove it for another 2 hours and it never missed a lick. The next day i drove it maybe 20 minutes and it died again. Once again let it sit for a few minutes and it would crank right back up. Any idea whats going on?

·
Registered
5,178 Posts
You need someone with a scanner with live data capability. Without it you are just guessing. It could be several things.

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,882 Posts
he's right^ need a scanner bad!
i read a post not long ago at all where a guy had similar symptoms & it turned out he was running too much oil if i remember correctly. it was foaming up after a few miles on the highway. if i find the link i'll post it for you.

edit: this may not be your issue, but here's the thread anyway. it's full of good stuff lol: http://www.powerstrokenation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=427642

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea I haven't been able to get it to a shop yet. I'm going to do an EGR delete and an oil cooler upgrade while I have it all apart. I did have one guy say he has had the FICM to cause the shutting down on a quit a few of his customers. I read through a lot of threads on here but seemed like most all of the guys with similar problems at sown point it would get to where it wouldn't crank at all or it would run rough. Mine won't do either. It just shuts off while running smoothly then will crank back up after a short period.

·
Registered
5,178 Posts
I cant tell you its more than likely not the FICM. Its more than likely a loss of high pressure oil, cam or crank signal missing or a fuel pressure problem.

When was the last time you changed the oil? Is it under or overfilled? And FWIW autozone scanners are worthless to these trucks.

When FICM's fail, it will almost always cause hard starting cold, rough running cold, with white smoke.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did notice just a few mintues ago that there is some black sludge build up on the sides of my engine coolant tank. The oil hasn't been changed in maybe 4 months. I only use the truck on the weekends when we go racing. It only has maybe 2000 miles since last oil change.

It will run rough after first time you crank it. Once it warms up no issues. But if you let it sit overnight and crank it up it will run rough for a few miles.

·
Big dumb *******
4,200 Posts
Stc maybe....it is 05 model... Hot start issues scream leaking stc fitting.

·
Registered
5,178 Posts
Possibly. You REALLY need someone with a scanner so you can pinpoint the problem instead of guessing. Someone who knows this engine well will be able to tell you what the issue is in minutes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was able to finally get some time and check this out. Borrowed a scan tool. Had 2 codes. Icp pressure to low. ICP injection circuit open. I can crank the truck and it says I'm running icp_dsd psi of 580 at idle. ICP voltage of .88 at idle.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Sounds like you have a faulty icp sensor, it's probably full of oil in the connector. It's on the very back center of your engine right behind the ipr valve. You might be able to see it and if it looks oily that is probably your whole issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's thorwing a P2623 code. I cleared them ran the truck shut it off wouldn't crank. And that's the code I keep getting.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
You have an '05, so yes, your ICP is on the passenger side valve cover right behind the GPCM. '03 and early '04 have them behind the IPR valve.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Sorry, for some reason I thought you had an 03, guess I need to read better next time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So on my 6.0 I did the EGR delete, sinister oil cooler upgrade, changed all the fuel filters, oil and oil filters, changed any glow plugs that were bad. It kept throwing a code and after reading and talking with some of the ford mechanics I decided to change the IPR. After all that the truck seems to crank better, have a little better throttle response and the most notable thing is it seems a lot more quiet at idle. Can anyone explain why it would be more quiet?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same issue with my 6.0 shuts down while driving and it will also shut down while idling. I had my scanner hooked up and could watch my alt volts start dropping and then truck shuts down. I replaced both battery's and the alt. Still doing the same thing. I am at a loss on this issue, can anyone give me a direction to go?

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,882 Posts
I have the same issue with my 6.0 shuts down while driving and it will also shut down while idling. I had my scanner hooked up and could watch my alt volts start dropping and then truck shuts down. I replaced both battery's and the alt. Still doing the same thing. I am at a loss on this issue, can anyone give me a direction to go?
welcome to the site! can you see FICM Sync on your scanner?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone, my 03 6.0 has the same issue. Did anyone find the problem. I need help because this truck is my job. I was pulling a load when it happened to me. The longer it would sit the farther it would go. But it would start at any time within 2 minutes of shutting down. Full power no issues for a couple miles then #### off again. After unhooking the load I haven’t had it shut off again and I’ve driven it 70-80 miles at a time unloaded. I need to work so I reallly need help. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts