Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
STILL LEARNING
18,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to look at a 6.0 tomorrow. It is a 04
What should I be looking for?

How can I tell if the Head gaskets are bad or EGR? or anything else. I am a 7.3 guys. I am lost w the 6.0

·
Registered
130 Posts
Take something to monitor the gauges. If your EOT and ECT get 15 degrees apart then you have issues. Also check ficm volts should be 46-48 volts. Get the vin and go to Ford and ask for a oasis report. Someone will chime in with a link on what all to look for I'm on my phone so I don't have it.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My scanner only goes to 99 so I cant monitor anything

·
Fixing Broken Stuff
2,078 Posts
Like the other guy suggest you will need a good scan tool to fix a 6.0. In a 04 6.0 they made some changes in late Sept., the early had the ICP sensor under the turbo by the IPR. The later model had the ICP sensor on the right valve cover by the GPCM. The later model is the better one to get, but with a 6.0 sooner or later you Will have to do some work to it. If you are worried about head gaskets and other cooling system issues look at the degas bottle for evidence of the "volcano effect" - anti freeze that blow out the cap. A 6.0 with a EGR delete and a few up grades is a good running truck and make good power. The 5R110 trans is pretty good, you never really hear or see any problems with it. Good Luck

·
STILL LEARNING
18,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well , thanks for the help guys. But the truck got sold before I got to it

·
Fixing Broken Stuff
2,078 Posts
There is plenty more out there.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts

·
STILL LEARNING
18,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would have ran the other way for that price. Something had to be wrong with it.......
Even if it needed heads, gaskets, EGR, oil cooler it would still be cheaper than buying the same truck that needed nothing for 15k

And that was the plan. Pay 5k, put another 3k into it and have a bullet proof 6.0 for under 10k

·
Fixing Broken Stuff
2,078 Posts
And that was the plan. Pay 5k, put another 3k into it and have a bullet proof 6.0 for under 10k

Thats the way I would do it. Buy a broke one and fix it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts