Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
<--before leveler & block
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dad has an 03 6.0 woth 52k on it that has had one injector go bad so far and at the time, dad just replaced them all with the stock ford injectors cuz he figured if 1 went the rest weren't far behind. Regulated return fuel systems is raved about for the 7.3's.

My question is, does a regulated return help a 6.0 much? Dad isn't much into getting big power out of his 6.0 but would like to make it more reliable even though it really hasn't been bad at all so far. Would 05 and up heads and intake manifold help any? I know egr delete is a good thing. Does a more free flowing exhaust help? Any small injectors that are more reliable than fords?

His truck is completely stock all the way down to the original tires with 52k miles on them. Truck is an automatic crew cab shortbed 4x4

Thanks

·
<-MONEY PITT!!
1,308 Posts
I say get a air dog II fuel pump it will replace the stocker on the frame drill the banjo bolts and call it a day the air dog filters fuel better and the high pressure pump will keep those rails full of fuel so u dont waste injectors!!!And i would do a egr delete first thing...

Now if you want to do it cheap just get a regulator spring and drill out the banjo bolts heres a link banjo bolts - Powerstroke Nation

I like the air dog idea because of the filtration and water separator i like mine so far...

·
Registered
321 Posts
I wouldn't waste money on a reg return like said above AD 2 and drill out banjo bolts and be done wit it.

·
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You guys lost me on the banjo bolts :doh: . Whjat are they? Some type of fuel regulator? where are they located?

·
Registered
297 Posts
ok the banjo bolts are bolts that have holes on them allowing fuel to get to the heads. Drill them out and take out the spring inside them and they flow better. Also you do not need a regulated return kit or bigger lines until you go over 190-200cc injectors a simple upgraded fuel pump is all that is need up til that.

·
Registered
772 Posts
airdog 2 and fass pumps are internally regulated. no need to add a second.

·
Proud PSN Sponsor!
2,171 Posts
Unless you are of the opinion that regulating the pressure 10' before the demand is the wrong way to go. Using the AirDog/FASS regulator for system pressure places the regulator before ALL of the sources of pressure drop (hoses, fittings, fuel rails, injectors, etc)...rather than after. Not how I would do it...

While the AirDog and FASS are great products, they don't address the deadhead rails, small fuel lines, etc.

·
Captain Negativity!
3,109 Posts
Unless you are of the opinion that regulating the pressure 10' before the demand is the wrong way to go. Using the AirDog/FASS regulator for system pressure places the regulator before ALL of the sources of pressure drop (hoses, fittings, fuel rails, injectors, etc)...rather than after. Not how I would do it...

While the AirDog and FASS are great products, they don't address the deadhead rails, small fuel lines, etc.
But a truck will still make about 700hp with the stock lines and stock banjo bolts in it... The rail goes past the injector. The orifice to the injector is .060 which is fed by a rail more than 4 times that. The pump will send enough fuel to drain even our big fuel tanks in anywhere from 30 mintes to around 12 minutes.

Last time I checked the pump sends the air through the return off the fass or the AD. Then the regulator up on the engine still returns fuel back to the motor as well which is around like 20 inches from the passenger head. We don't have a need for long lead injectors on 6.0L our head and injector works much better.

Come on now...

·
Proud PSN Sponsor!
2,171 Posts
Since all the conversations I've had with people that build 6.0L injectors must be meaningless, the warranty terms of some 6.0L injectors are certainly meaningless and of course...the experiences of my customer are meaningless...I'll just say this:

Whatever floats your boat.

Not in the mood to argue tonight.

·
Captain Negativity!
3,109 Posts
Since all the conversations I've had with people that build 6.0L injectors must be meaningless, the warranty terms of some 6.0L injectors are certainly meaningless and of course...the experiences of my customer are meaningless...I'll just say this:

Whatever floats your boat.

Not in the mood to argue tonight.
Is it really a good idea to bring up the stellar reputation of injector builders reliability vs OEM.

Ford had to mark the factory filter to point out that people were too lazy to even change filters on time and give the dealer a way to hand them a "here's your sign stupid".

My boat floats very well. Back it up with some data and lets postpone the discussion when the mood fits.

·
<-MONEY PITT!!
1,308 Posts
:popcorn:

·
Registered
675 Posts

why does it matter where you regulate the pressure. I've never regulated a fuel system but have built several hydraulic and coolant systems at work and all of them are regulated at the pump, but it woudn't matter where i regulated them as long as the pressure in the feed line is where i want it.

·
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
why does it matter where you regulate the pressure. I've never regulated a fuel system but have built several hydraulic and coolant systems at work and all of them are regulated at the pump, but it woudn't matter where i regulated them as long as the pressure in the feed line is where i want it.
I talked to a couple guys (one of them being Jason at DFA) who said the pressure will be lower after the rails, injectors, etc. then before all of those. He said that it could be up to 20 psi difference just depends on your stock pump. If i am correct, all regulated returns are regulated after the heads, injectors, etc.

This is on a 7.3l which i have. I figure the same goes for a 6.0l since it has the same injection style :shrug:

·
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh and what is thise i am hearing about the oem vs. stellar injector reliability? Are oem's not as reliable?

·
Proud PSN Sponsor!
2,171 Posts
Is it really a good idea to bring up the stellar reputation of injector builders reliability vs OEM.
Uhhh...are you using OEM and Reliable in the same sentence regarding 6.0L parts...really? There are so many problems that the dealership techs seem to be trained to look for whatever they can to dismiss a warranty on them to get out of paying for it. I've had customers with BONE STOCK trucks that were always serviced at the dealership (Motorcraft oil and fuel filtes) get their injector warranty claims denied over fuel quality issues. Are customers now supposed to carry test kits and sample the fuel from the pump before putting regular old pump diesel in their trucks...for fear of warranty denial when the POS injectors fail? Really, if it's that big of a problem, Ford should have installed a better fuel filtration setup...but it's cheaper to tell customers "no warranty, here's the bill".

Ford had to mark the factory filter to point out that people were too lazy to even change filters on time and give the dealer a way to hand them a "here's your sign stupid".
No argument here...don't do the maintenance and bad crap happens.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Ford are a$$holes when it comes to warranty denial I should know working at a ford garage. But like stated above the past month I've replaced 4 entire fuel systems on 6.4's all denied warranty because of poor fuel quality. These trucks are all very reguraly maintained by me at the dealership. Bottom line us nobody that mass produces parts for trucks care about the quality anymore.

·
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So fuel pump, studs, and egr delete are the only things necessary to make this thing reliable as possible? If more injectors go out sometime in the future, should my dad go with oem stock injectors or like a stage 1 of some sort? And would custom tuning be necessary to run them? I know there is a split shot and single shot for the 7.3's, is this also the case for 6.0 injectors?

·
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
??

·
Registered
675 Posts
So fuel pump, studs, and egr delete are the only things necessary to make this thing reliable as possible? If more injectors go out sometime in the future, should my dad go with oem stock injectors or like a stage 1 of some sort? And would custom tuning be necessary to run them? I know there is a split shot and single shot for the 7.3's, is this also the case for 6.0 injectors?
reliable as possible throw in coolant filter, oil filtration and external oil cooler. OEM injectors are the most reliable its been brought up before that no one makes the parts to rebuild a used injector, elite diesel offers warranties on their injectors but you pay for it. If you can find a shop to modify a set of new injectors that would be your best bet and yes you will need a SCT with custom tunes

·
Registered
772 Posts
if you run injectors without an sct it will run fine, but your transmission wont like the power without tuning. it would be similar to running a banks or boxed system for power

1 - 20 of 27 Posts