Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 06 f350 lifted 8 inches with 37s have it geared to a 4:56 using a sct livewire what should the coolant and oil deltas be at 60 mph

·
Registered
353 Posts
I see around 5-6 deg delta's when on the highway at 60mph....what's with a new oil cooler. When towing, it will get up to 10-12 depending on how much of a load you are putting on the truck.

When I bought the truck a couple of years ago....I was hitting 15 deg on the highway with no load, so I rebuilt the oil cooler.....problem solved.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Ok imma try the flush if not I have a cooler. Thanks
Make sure it's an OEM Ford oil cooler....I've heard of lots of guys having issues with the cheap aftermarket coolers, especially the seals they come with.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I’ve heard that when you flush your coolant and replace a bad oil cooler it is best to add a second filter and change the filter on it every 1500 miles 3/4 times after replacing your oil filter. I was told that if you don’t there could still be contaminated in the system that can cause your oil cooler to start to fail again within a short time. Opinions???

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,805 Posts
I’ve heard that when you flush your coolant and replace a bad oil cooler it is best to add a second filter and change the filter on it every 1500 miles 3/4 times after replacing your oil filter. I was told that if you don’t there could still be contaminated in the system that can cause your oil cooler to start to fail again within a short time. Opinions???
secondary/bypass oil filter or coolant filter?

with a coolant filter, i'm in the camp where the sooner you can start filtering the coolant, the better. That way when you replace oil cooler, you'll have less stuff to break loose and clog your new one.

for the oil filter...I don't think its common for the oil veins to clog, but since the motor overall is so sensitive to oil, having better oil filtration is pretty darn nice. it could save you on injectors in the long run at the least.

usually either @bismic1 or @Weatherlite or somebody comes along with better info when i answer questions like this lol, I can't wait to see what the have to say!
edit: or @matthewd11 up there, or @jamiesaun lol

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,070 Posts
Spot on Rob. Oil coolers have plugged on the oil side, but it is rare and due to neglect.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Agreed. No need for an extra oil filter unless you're looking for ultra filtration like I am. Only severe neglect will clog that part. The bypass, or even full flow, coolant filter however, as well all know, is a necessity. I know I changed mine every 500 miles for twice, and then again after 1000 more, and it was gradually less and less filled with gunk. I now change it with the oil and I rarely see anything in it anymore, save for the odd piece of casting sand which is still somehow floating around in there. lol

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
My problem is filter location. I find it actually rusts through if I'm not careful in the winter. lol Really need to relocate it to a less susceptible area.

I'm also wondering if there might ever come a point at which we can remove these? I mean, we won't have to worry about silicate drop-out, just casting sand.....but everyone basically says if they had been able to use EC-1 coolant from day 1, a filter wouldn't be needed. So which is it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts