Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My oil cooler deltas are running around 20 degrees. I want to preform a flush on the oil cooler before I replace. I havent had the truck long and the dealership told me they did a coolant flush prior to putting it on the lot. My question is can I preform a back flush without having a back flush cap? Has anyone tried this before? Also is there any cleaners people have had success with? I appreciate the information.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Not really, without a proper fitting -- but all the crud in the cooler will go back into the block, you sure you want to "free" that?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Look up NYLYONS write up on flushing and changing coolant to Cat EC1... I did a back flush of oil cooler, heater core and radiator when switching from ford gold to elc red...backflushed, then used half a bottle of cascade dishwasher detergent with dawn and distilled for a week without tstat. During the initial flush and after week with cascade, flushed with distilled h21, about 24 gals....each time opening driver side block drain and lower radiator hose. Also, high idle mod saves time of needing to drive around between flushes. Long winded summary, hope it helps...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
Either the backflush adapter or the coolant manifold and filter from IPR research will give you straight shot to the oil cooler. If you have a spare oil cooler cap you could build your own flush adapter, I went the IPR route since it's a great filter. X2 on the liquid Cascade dishwasher detergent, works good at cutting the crud in the system. I'd also put at least one Fumoto F-108N (or EZ 108) behind the starter so you only need to drop it once. I put them on both sides of the block, with some 3/8 tubing I can drain the block right into a bucket without a mess. I'd also recommend doing a few fill N drains with distilled after using the garden hose, then fill with 3 1/2 gallons of ELC concentrate and top off with distilled. That'll give you a good 50/50 mix. Don't buy 50/50, you have to use concentrate because you'll never get all the water out.

·
Registered
102 Posts
.Double post.
I hate this new site software

1 - 6 of 6 Posts