Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
This may be a stupid question but new to diesels. Just bought 2005 F350, 98,800 miles. I've replaced degas cap with a Stant and also installed Performance Machine Coolant filter. I plan to do flush/fill at 100,000 miles. My question is what do I do about coolant filter? Will it not just block all the gunk from being flushed out? Thanks for any insight.

Definition of Insanity....AutoGuide

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,872 Posts
This may be a stupid question but new to diesels. Just bought 2005 F350, 98,800 miles. I've replaced degas cap with a Stant and also installed Performance Machine Coolant filter. I plan to do flush/fill at 100,000 miles. My question is what do I do about coolant filter? Will it not just block all the gunk from being flushed out? Thanks for any insight.

does it have shut-offs on either side like a sinister filter head? either way, block the flow through it & install a new filter when you flush?

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,872 Posts
i started thinking about it again. if you close either side of filter head, remove filter & just open drainc0ck, opening one of the shut-offs at a time will get the fluid out of those lines. re close them, put new filter on & flush as normal. that way you won't have to worry about junk in the filter, head, or the aux lines. & Thank You for making me think on it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
i started thinking about it again. if you close either side of filter head, remove filter & just open drainc0ck, opening one of the shut-offs at a time will get the fluid out of those lines. re close them, put new filter on & flush as normal. that way you won't have to worry about junk in the filter, head, or the aux lines. & Thank You for making me think on it!

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for revisiting my situation.

·
Registered
67 Posts
This is a great write up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am new to the powerstroke. How many miles before these engines start to see problems? I am looking to buy a truck. The 05 has 84k all stock. The 04 has 146k with EGR delete and remote oil filters. Any input would be helpful.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What a great article! Answered every question I had and educated me on a few things also! Can't beat that!! Thanks................ I love my Ford Powerstroke!!

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,872 Posts

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Same.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi guys. I am new to this site. Today i was trying to replace the oil cooler and i wanted to flush the coolant system. Stupid me , i flushed the system before i mounted the the oil cooler housing and about two or three gallons of water/ coolant went thorough the hole under the screen in the reservoir where the hole is for the HPOP. ( not the turbo drain valve or ipr screen)

Now my question is what should I do next? Do i have any coolant left where it is not supposed to be?

I drained the oil from the oil pan, and blew air with shop vac through the little hole, and through the oil drain valve for the turbo.

Any suggestions highly appreciated.

P/S : I used the picture as a referance to show the hole where i got the water through. Yellow circles where the water went in.

2005 F250 Powerstroke 6.0.

Thanks a million.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
1,207 Posts
I would pour horse piss into my 6.0's cooling system long before I would EVER put the hydrofluoric acids VC9, Restore, and several other names and brands that all do the same destructive damages to a good engine. These acid cleaners are the backbone of getting all of the garbage out of it.

The acid Ford uses is a metal cleaning and etching deep into the internals of the cast iron block itself water pump etc. Its a lot like one using a 20lb sledge hammer for crushing the beer cans....!!!!

The acid is extremely strong and is in very high levels ppm of the active ingredients.
Problem comes in when its etching deep into the cast iron along with all of aluminum.
The system gets drained and flushed out with clean water only. But there is a moderate amount of the hydrofluoric acid still doing what it does for a few more weeks until it becomes inert.
So for the additional weeks after the flush the VC9 is still etching the block and releasing more casting sand left in from production. Then over the following 2-3 weeks the newly released materials have taken up residence inside that brand oil cooler in the truck and to make things worse yet that new EGR cooler is likely permanently damage as well.

Heres a news flash: Never use any acid based cooling system cleaner. What works best out of everything else is: Cascade Dishwasher liquid soap with Dawn cleaning action.
It cleans all of the dirt and grime and clears out every bit of the silicates that are undoing of the engines oil cooler and EGR cooler.
We've back flushed 4 F250 with it and have had only flawless results using for that purpose. None needed their oil coolers replaced and ELC Coolant will practically last forever unlike the horse piss Ford markets as Ford Gold coolant.

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
1,207 Posts
peak final charge global
Go with a quality coolant its worth it.

These are the ONLY coolants I trust. They are both extremely well made with no shortcuts. I would try to get the CAT first, if that falls in on you then go with the Shell Rotella. Its about as perfect of a clown to the CAT.

CAT EC-1 concentrated will have a red cap on it.
Rotella ELC concentrate.

Then top off with distilled water.

Overall quantity to use is 3 gallons of coolant and 3-1/2 gallons of distilled water.
Can buy 4 gallons of the coolant and use 3-1/2 gallons if you are a literalist.

·
Administrator
32,990 Posts
clone ? clown ?
lol

I avoind vc9 but their bottle statement would lead you to believe it is not very aggressive at all

Is non-aggressive to both ferrous and non-ferrous metals, including mild steel, copper, aluminum, cast iron, brass, bronze, and stainless steels
Provides a passive iron surface after cleaning to avoid flash rusting

21 - 40 of 47 Posts