Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my truck is an 05 f250. i never really had any issues with it then all of a sudden one day it just shuts off while im driving and wont turn on again. dealer says its ficm so they change it and give it back to me. since then i have had a few issues with it which are all sometimes it does this or that kind of things so of course the dealer cant find anything wrong with it and the service manager basically tells me im dreaming this stuff up. when i take off it sometimes will not rev up and has no power....kind of like bad turbo lag. the tach doesnt come off idle. it shuts off sometimes while driving and sometimes while at idle. of course it only does this while im on a busy road as luck would have it. when it shuts off it wont fire up again. today it started and then shut off and refused to start again. i turned the key to on pos to let glow plugs warm up and it started up again. also it has sometimes been stubborn to get started like in winter but we havent had a cold day yet. anyone know what this could be? my dealer is obviously of no help to me. thanks in advance.

·
it's an 02 05 08
930 Posts
:whs: or could be a bad connection at the ficm if the dealer just replaced i would start there

·
Smokin' Ole
86 Posts
DO you have access to a scan tool? Could be a STC fitting starting to fail
You don't even need a scanner to see if the STC fitting is going bad. Test the high pressure system (right bank) and when you put air to it stick a small piece of hose, about a foot or so, and stick one end in the oil fill and listen to the other. You'll hear a gurgle/bubbling noise if the fitting is leaking. Much easier and cheaper than a scanner :D

·
Smokin' Ole
86 Posts
Check your fuel pressure as well..
Good call. That makes a lot more sense than a STC fitting at this point. :whs:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how do i check the fuel pressure? you guys think the pump is kicking off and on and thats why its so hit or miss? that would explain its not reving out

I

·
0 Posts
how do i check the fuel pressure? you guys think the pump is kicking off and on and thats why its so hit or miss? that would explain its not reving out
First of all are you useing the 4604 or 4616 filter pak? My guess would be fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator is on it's way out.. There have been some issues with fuel pressure useing the NEW 4616 filters.. They have an additional O-ring to prevent water from getting through but I think they suck..
My guess is when you change over to the new pak, the fuel pump has to work harder to pump the fuel.. If the pump or regulator is weak to begin with then the fuel pressure will be a problem.. My buddy is a Ford service manager and he has been changing lots of regulators on 6.0's as of late..

·
Registered
652 Posts
The best way is to get the fuel adapter 6.0L Fuel Pressure Adapter and install it here Page 30: Fuel Supply System and get a fuel pressure gauge i went with the AutoMeter anything under 45 lbs at WOT will kill injectors mine with 20k on it was at 44 and 50 lbs at idle installed the new reg kit now 62 at idle and 58 WOT pulling a 5er i don't want them going hungry:doh:
2 stroker:ford:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
how do i check the fuel pump and regulator? the filter is a napa number so idk what number it crosses to for ford. is there a way to check the pressure without installing a gauge? i think we have a modis or solus at our shop im not sure im not the guy that uses it....im just a dumb ol truck driver lol

·
Registered
706 Posts
You can check the fuel pressure very easily, autozone lets you rent a tool for $150 and they give you the money back when you return it. Take the tool and where your top engine fuel filter is there is a test port that looks similar to the water/fuel separator drain on the HFCM, remove this plug and hook the fuel pressure gauge up to it and there you go.... instant fuel pressure reading.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can check the fuel pressure very easily, autozone lets you rent a tool for $150 and they give you the money back when you return it. Take the tool and where your top engine fuel filter is there is a test port that looks similar to the water/fuel separator drain on the HFCM, remove this plug and hook the fuel pressure gauge up to it and there you go.... instant fuel pressure reading.
thanks man im on it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts