Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So truck won't start but cranks fine, no smoke no smell to exhaust, I have fuel pressure, oil pressure gauge is climbing on crank, rpm gauge climbs on crank maybe 2-300 rpm, ficm reads 48 volts key on and cranking, pulled and cleaned ipr, what else can i try.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh also the truck won't let me pull codes, just seems to lock up when I try

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right off the ficm

·
Diesel Freak
85 Posts
Check the CPS!! I took my truck to the dealer 3 times and they couldnt figure it out until the 3rd time.

If the CPS fails you will get a crank no start situation. Depending on how bad of shape the CPS is in it might start if its real warm out or if your crank for EVER (if your lucky).

Most of the time the engine just wont start. Thats because its not even trying too! If the CPS fails the ECM, FICM, PCM, TCM, etc. wont know what position the engines in so it doesnt know what cylinder to inject fuel into first to start in the correct sequence. SO it wont even try and will not inject fuel.

They get rusted out or corroded and fail to send a signal. The CPS is a $60 part (around there I think) and labor is something in the ball park of $200-300.

I would look at that or have your dealer/shop of choice check it out. It will save you a giant headache (I know...) or at least rule out one point of failure.

Hope this helps some!

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Oh also the truck won't let me pull codes, just seems to lock up when I try
This is the second thread today with this same issue! A no start that won't communicate with the scanner, not good...

·
m-chan68
116 Posts
Gents!!! Any time you have a situation where the scan tool won't communicate with the PCM, it usually means there's V-Ref circuit shorted to ground, which will also shut the engine down. This goes for any electronically controlled engine, be that gas or diesel.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gents!!! Any time you have a situation where the scan tool won't communicate with the PCM, it usually means there's V-Ref circuit shorted to ground, which will also shut the engine down. This goes for any electronically controlled engine, be that gas or diesel.
So this means a wire is grounding out?

·
m-chan68
116 Posts
So this means a wire is grounding out?
Yes, if any of your sensors that have a V-Ref circuit that is grounding out, it WILL shut down the engine and/or cause you to lose commnunication with your scan tool. This is provided that you are are getting B+ to the far lower right pin on your DLC regardless of ignition key position. If you're not, check your cigar lighter fuse. Also check to make sure your PCM is getting B+ when cycle the ignition key to the RUN position. If the above two check out good, you'll need to start disconnecting your sensors one by one, until communication with the scan tool is restored.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts