Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, new to the forum, having trouble with my new to me 2003 6.0. I’ve been lurking around trying to find the issue on here but haven’t had luck.

Ive got a 2003 6.0 in a F250 with 208,000 miles. I’ve got no power before getting to 2500 rpm.
The motor is stock with no mods but it did come with an SCT tuner. Once I get passed 2500 rpm it’s got plenty of power but blows a lot of black smoke. It starts fine and idles alright. No white residue by degas cap.

Things I’ve tried:
removed the egr valve and cleaned, cleaned out port, replaced orings. It actually was pretty clean Compared to what I’ve seen online.

inspected the air filter, and even removed for a short period to see if there was a change.

inspected the map hose for cracks/leaks.

reset tune to factory, then “street”. No change. Set tune to performance, which helped slightly with low end power, but now blows black smoke during any acceleration.

Boost according to the sct is -1.5 or so during idle and gets up around 5 psi at 3000 rpm.

no codes are being shown.

What do I need to do next?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
I’ve been lurking around trying to find the issue on here but haven’t had luck.
What do I need to do next?
Everyone always says that. Do more reading under the direct issue you are having. I'll give you two hints, one you already answered below. 2. Vgt

Boost according to the sct is -1.5 or so during idle and gets up around 5 psi at 3000 rpm.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,363 Posts
What are you using to read codes?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Everyone always says that. Do more reading under the direct issue you are having. I'll give you two hints, one you already answered below. 2. Vgt

Oh buddy, I hear ya. Believe me. The tricky thing is I’ve seen this similar question asked a million times on various forums, but there is almost never a conclusion. People don’t come back to say what the fix is, or it was one of the issues I checked. I’m not like those other girls I promise...
I’m assuming the boost measurement isn’t to be Trusted since negative values should be un- possible?

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Oh buddy, I hear ya. Believe me. The tricky thing is I’ve seen this similar question asked a million times on various forums, but there is almost never a conclusion. People don’t come back to say what the fix is, or it was one of the issues I checked. I’m not like those other girls I promise...
I’m assuming the boost measurement isn’t to be Trusted since negative values should be un- possible?
I'm pretty sure the map can read vacuum.
Donuts to donuts your unison ring is stuck/worn. Possibly bad actuator or plug.

Reactions: RedBearded1

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,363 Posts
Agree w/ above, but also the SCT is a VERY bad code reader. I don't think much of the Innova either.

ForScan Lite to a smartphone (with an OBDII adapter) will put you miles ahead.

Reactions: RedBearded1

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm pretty sure the map can read vacuum.
Donuts to donuts your unison ring is stuck/worn. Possibly bad actuator or plug.

Hey man that’s super helpful. I’ll look into those things soon and report back.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay so I dug in and removed the turbo, and disassembled it as far as the unison ring. It moves freely by hand, like, with a finger. It’s pretty clean looking other than soot. No real caked on deposits. The hole for the cam/ pin deal looks good. Not worn at all.

Measured resistance of the vgt solenoid and it was 3.8-4.0 ohms.

I’m guessing this turbo must have been recently removed/ cleaned as that pain in the ass mounting bolt at the back was not there. Searched for that bigger forever before discovering that.

the shaft on the turbo spins freely and doesn’t have much play in it at all.

what’s next?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Start looking for boost leaks

Did you check the ebp?

Do you have a scanner like torque pro?

After those I'd probably try to get a cyl contribution test

You have a boost problem, it's either your losing the boost from a leak, bad turbo vgt control, or your injectors are not doing their part to make the exhaust engery.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Check the plug going into the vgt solenoid. Come down the harness a little ways.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Start looking for boost leaks

Did you check the ebp?

Do you have a scanner like torque pro?

After those I'd probably try to get a cyl contribution test

You have a boost problem, it's either your losing the boost from a leak, bad turbo vgt control, or your injectors are not doing their part to make the exhaust engery.
So I think I’ve found the issue. At about 2 am after searching around I found that there is a loose connection where the exhaust manifold connects to the pipe going up to the turbo. Like, real loose. Trying to weasel my way in to tighten that now but it’s a real mother. I see why the last guy didn’t do it.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Yes that would do it, there's a recent thread about vgt problems that very detail putting that together. It's tough

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Exhaust manifold is now securely bolted to the up pipe( I believe that’s what it is). Took it for a drive, boost will now reach up to 15-16 psi if I’m really givener but low end is still gutless and runs at negative boost. Vgt cycle according to the SCT sits at .68 at idle and goes to about .5 wot.
Vgt solenoid next? Is there any other places to check for leaks?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Check the plug going into the vgt solenoid. Come down the harness a little ways.

I checked the plug out. Followed the wiring back. Nothing visibly damaged. Tried disconnecting the vgt solenoid plug to see if there was any change. And there was. Much worse. So I’m thinking the solenoid/plug must be alright.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Since the up pipe is so tough, get a friend to rev the motor and stick your hand back there and check for a leak at idle and up to 2000 rpm.

I think it's not on the turbo, check for boost and exhaust leaks. Did you check out the ebp sensor? I would give it a good power brake and see if you get to 20 psi boost, look at the exhaust for smoke.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts