Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I had my fuel gel up on me a few months ago when we had a negative teen cold snap, I’ve noticed that when I put a big load on my truck at lower RPMS (slowly rolling into the throttle when towing something up a decent hill but the transmission stays in overdrive)…I will get what feels like a misfire from an injector. Just a little stumble that I can feel, almost like a cylinder isn’t firing (no fuel) for a split second. I’m not getting any codes that would indicated a bad injector. And the truck runs fantastic…except for that issue when there is a big load on it at lower rpms. If it downshifts and the RPMS’ go up, no issues at all…it makes great power, and no misfire feeling.

I did get several “injector contribution” faults when I had my fuel gel up…..could that have damaged an injector(s)? My next step is to take it to a shop and have them run a test on the motor and see which injectors may be weak.

Does that sound like an injector issue? Or something else? Is it a common issue in the 6.0’s to have injector issues after the fuel gels up in them?

·
Registered
845 Posts
It's common on the 6.0 to have injector problems after a fuel problem.

I had one with 170k miles and I ran out if fuel, then had a permanent misfire until the injector was changed

·
Registered
308 Posts
To answer your basic question, yes you have a bad injector. How to figure out which one? I use forscan and look for the contribution code, that'll tell you which injector(s) is failing.
Since you had a gelling issue, I recommend replacing a whole bank at once (1357 or 2468).
I have a #4 contribution code, so I'll be doing that whole side. I'll do the other side as soon as I can afford another 4 injectors. I sure can feel that one injector when the oil is cold, that's for sure!
OH, get a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel system asap (an oil pressure gauge will work) so you don't have a low fuel pressure situation again.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've scanned my truck and I'm not getting any contribution codes at all. Is there any other way to figure out which injector is acting up? Or should I just take it to the shop and pay their $100/hr shop rate for someone to hook their computer up to it and run the contribution test to see which injector is bad/weak?

As far as new injectors......where is the best place to get them right now? What's the best aftermarket oem injector? Or can you still get the oem ones from Ford?

·
Registered
845 Posts
Forscan is free on laptop, and I'm pretty sure it can do it.

Best way is to high idle the truck and turn off each injector one by one and if it doesn't big down that's the bad injector.

Two years ago it was ford all day for injectors, I'm not sure now

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Forscan is free on laptop, and I'm pretty sure it can do it.

Best way is to high idle the truck and turn off each injector one by one and if it doesn't big down that's the bad injector.

Two years ago it was ford all day for injectors, I'm not sure now
I'm pretty sure I already have Forscan...I will check it out and see what I can do with it. But unless there is an actual contribution test it will let you run, I don't know if it will help.

The only time I actually have the misfiring injector is when I'm driving the truck and there is a big load on the motor. Idling, revving, low-load conditions....all injectors work fine, and the truck runs great. If it was an injector that was dead all the time...yes, it would be easy to turn each one off until I get to the one that doesn't affect the motor when I turn it off (because it's already off).

But with it running fine under normal conditions......I'm not sure that method of troubleshooting is going to work.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Scan it with forscan. Most other options for scanning for codes won't pull the injector codes. Your looking for "contribution balance". The code does not go away after it happens, unless it's cleared, and it doesn't set off the cel.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
845 Posts
You will be surprised how much the other injectors will compensate for the bad one

1 - 8 of 8 Posts