Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got a 2004 F250 4x4 6.0. its currently a daily driver, ive got an AEM cold air intake, mbrp 4in exhaust, SCT Livewire TS. ive got a sinister egr delete just havent got it on yet. but is there anything in particular that can help boost me up past this 15.5 AVG MPG mark? itd b nice if they just started givin diesel out so i wouldnt have to complain ha

·
6.4L believer
138 Posts
Yeah you bet trade it in on a Toyota Camry it's an 8000lb truck

·
Registered
11 Posts
Put an egg behind the gas pedal and try not to break it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Put an egg behind the gas pedal and try not to break it.
Yeah, that is a method, Cfletcher. Welcome to the forum!

Scolesy8, what's your gear ratio?

·
Registered
26 Posts
16.5 to 17 mpg average hand calculated hwy/city and I don't think it's that bad! It improved quit a bit when I hit the 200,000 km (125K mile) mark.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
stock ratio. i wanna say 3.73 but dont quote me, i'll have to check it out ha. well, i imagine my new tires dont help it any, i just put on a set of 305/60R18 Dick Cepek fun country 2's. but does the EGR delete help with mileage at all? just wondering. if so i'll be sure to get on it quicker, just been short for time with farmin bein main priority

·
Registered
205 Posts
Well...

My gas engined tow rig was getting 6.5 to 8MPG with its best being right around 8.5MPG. I went to a diesel rig, in a heavier chassis, and my MPG was 10.5 to 12MPG with some in the 15's.

For me, that was a way to reduce cost, even with the extra cost of diesel fuel and the additional oil required for oil changes... If I can spend less and do the same work, I'm looking for that efficiency to maintain as much money in my pocket or in the pocket of my business so that I can capitalize on other opportunities.

·
Registered
205 Posts
stock ratio. i wanna say 3.73 but dont quote me, i'll have to check it out ha. well, i imagine my new tires dont help it any, i just put on a set of 305/60R18 Dick Cepek fun country 2's. but does the EGR delete help with mileage at all? just wondering. if so i'll be sure to get on it quicker, just been short for time with farmin bein main priority
I don't know on the EGR delete. Some say it does, others seem to not be concerned, and others seem to say no difference. I think that some tuners can be set to reduce the EGR once it has warmed up the coolant, which could be a good use of all the heat in the exhaust after start up when the engine is cold.

My current van has an average MPG of just under 19MPG. I've got the stock sized tires, and the rear gear ratio is 3:55...automatic transmission. I don't do a lot of hauling, and I don't use the van like I used my other vans. I bought this one well used...a survivor...with 398k. EGR did need to be replaced. Seems to run strong. I had two 7.3's before, and the 6.0 scared me, but I'm doing better now...at least I keep telling myself that. :D

At speeds just below 60MPH, I think the engine turns just under 1700RPM's. And at just below 70MPH, the engine R's are under 2000 yet, if I remember correctly from my drive home.

I've put on taller, wider tires on my one van, the bus, and, while it allowed me to reduce the engine RPM's at the same speed, I saw a reduction in my MPG. I figured that was the result of all, some, or one (or none) of the following: van became too tall and increased wind resistance, van was too tall and too much air was going under van that increased drag, larger tires had extra weight that took more power to move, larger tires had extra width that increased wind resistance.

If I'm going to make a change this time around, one might be in going to a narrower tire with the same diameter. The stock tire is a 245/75R16, and I'd consider a 215/85R16. Weight would be reduced, and width would be reduced while maintaining the current "as designed" gear ratio and overall height.

Considering ideas on building an air dam.

I enjoy the stuff made by DP Tuner. I think their programs has a little better shift strategy than stock strategies...seems like the OEM ones don't lock up the torque converter soon enough and they hold the RPM's out pretty high before shifting...my thoughts at least. A manual transmission would be ideal, but converting a van would be an expense that I don't want to tackle.

·
International Coal Roller
383 Posts
The egr should increase the milage, it increased on all the deletes I've ever been apart of, if you think about it tour engine is so air hungry you have a turbo, yet that egr valve is letting spent exhaust back into your intake, common sense says the fresher the air the better the combustion and the better the milage, I can get 18 -19 with my cclb 7.3 if I drive easy, you should see that if not better

·
Super Moderator
3,382 Posts
15.5 average isn't horrible. I'll get 14 city during stop-n-go, up to 18+ HWY with my 2006.

·
tmx
3 Posts
hahahaha I would love even double digits mine when im towing heavy which is all the truck does gets 6.9 that's rite 215 mile on 35 gallons .

·
Registered
166 Posts
lol.. You guys are cryin about gettin 15-16... i get 10-12 mpg... wish i could get 15 out of mine...

·
Registered
166 Posts
lol you guys are cyin about 15-16 mine only gets 10-12 wish i could get 15....

·
Registered
87 Posts
I too am struggling with the MPG issue. When I first got truck was having issues with it dying randomly but could get 17.5 to 18.5 on the highway. Since they "fixed" the truck I am down to 15.5 on the highway and getting no more than 10 towing my 22' open racecar trailer and car. Truck is still all stock other than 4" turbo back exhaust. Been slowly checking every thing I can find on the site :) All the people here are great and I really appreciate all the help. This weekend I pulled the EGR valve out and took a peak at it. A little carbon on. Didn't appear to be wet or gummy and no moisture was showing when I shone a light down in the intake. Cleaned the valve up and reinstalled so on to next item. I do recall that they tried reflashing my truck when I was having the dying issue and after they did that was when I got my best fuel milage. Supposedly they put all 8 injectors in new but I am starting to see smoke when I start truck so have doubts about exactly what dealer did to fix truck. Love my diesel, just trying to eek out that last mpg or so like everyone else lol! Want to get my hands on an SCT tuner so I can have Drew write me an economy/tow tune and see what happens.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Checked last week while towing and my coolant was at 196 and the EOT was 205. 9 degrees isn't too bad for a split.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts