16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 F-350
135,000 miles
Turbo back 4 inch to duel exhaust
Blue spring upgrade
Sinister Diesel coolant filter
Motorcraft fuel and oil filters 15w40

This all started after I had the head gaskets and studs done. the truck had no power problems prior to the work being done. The turbo veins were also cleaned at the same time. What I was told by the mechanic is that when he pulled it out of the shop after doing the work the truck ran fine. The next day he went to drive it and it had no power/ throttle response when in gear. In park or neutral the engine would rev but not as it should. At this point it has had an ICP sensor, IPR valve, MAP sensor, throttle pedal assy, under hood wire harness, EGR valve, FICM, the EGR cooler was deleted but he reinstalled it thinking it might be the problem, the PCM was flashed but not replaced. There are no codes present on the PCM. It was scanned with AutoEnginuity. HPOP pressure will go above 3000 psi at WOT so the pump seems strong yet. The most boost pressure I've seen so far is only 16-17psi which definitely low at WOT but it is hard to tell if that is a symptom or a cause. When the truck is shifted into gear the engine lugs down quite a bit. It starts hard almost like there is a load on the engine, not a long crank but it rolls over hard.

KOEO:
BARO 14.14
MAP 14.24
EBP 14.4

Low idle engine cold:
ICP 969 PSI
ICP volt 1.25
IPR % 27.7
FICM Mpower 48
FICM Lpower 12.5
FICM Vpower 12
VGT % 68.5

low idle engine warm
ICP 601 psi
ICP volt .88
IPR% 19.14
engine oil temp 199
engine coolant temp 191

Cruising speed about 50mph
ICP 1286 psi
ICP volt 1.54
IPR% 32.81
VGT 62.3

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,807 Posts
some immediate thoughts...

1. can you check fuel pressure?
2. (i'm sure you tripple checked...) is the intake ducting all 100% back together? not sucking air through the filter minder or the ccv? or a cac boot coming apart? is that driver side plastic cac tube split down the side?
3. dude forget to tighten the exhaust mani bolts to the uppipes or the clamps?
4. you said you have a new MAP sensor, but is the little hose in good shape? no pinholes or splits in it?
5. you should be able to start & run the motor no problem with teh ICP, MAF, &/or EBP sensor unplugged. free testing lol, and might lead to pinpointing a bad pigtail, who knows

i know these are silly thoughts, but i've seen & read some boneheaded things that mechanics have forgotten about... me too, i've done much worse lol

also, no doubt somebody will come along right after me and actually have a really good idea hahaha! best of luck man!

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,070 Posts
The numbers actually look pretty good. Maybe the VGT numbers are a little off, but not much.

Do you have a way to check fuel pressure?

Edit - wow. I didn't see your post Rob!! I just should have said "+1" to your post!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right now i have the turbo off. Making sure it was put together right, after it was cleaned by the mechanic. I'll try to test fuel pressure when its back together.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I remember someone else having similar problems a couple years back, and it came down to a bad connection with the TCU. All he did was disconnect it and re-seat it, and all was well. Probably not so lucky in your case, but I would leave no stone unturned. These engines are so finicky, and depend on parameters you never would have thought of, so even if you don't think it matters you may still want to check it.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,070 Posts
Any update?

·
Registered
543 Posts
buler..... buler....... ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still sitting at Ford dealership. They have no idea of what's wrong. They tested a different computer on it, which resulted in same problem. So computer is good. They said, they are going to have Ford engineering come out to look at it. If it ever gets fixed, I will post a follow-up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ford dealership said they can't fix it. So it's back home. Until I can find someone else to fix it, it will be a paper weight. Are these truck worth parting out? What could I make on it?

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,070 Posts
Seems like they would have at least reviewed the things they checked with you (compression, VGT operation, fuel delivery/pressure, etc).

·
Master BS'er
5,921 Posts
Not so easy is it?

"Mechanics today are parts changers, they just hook into the computer and it tells them what to fix."

Heard that one a bunch.

Where do you live Tim?

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,070 Posts
Well, several of us asked about fuel pressure, but the question was never answered. That is disappointingly common on these forums ..... makes it hard over the internet, especially in tough cases like this where the mechanic can't solve even w/ the truck in front of him! I hope you didn't pay the mechanic much. Sounds like he was just guessing on things like the EGR cooler.

Also sounds like he was just trying to justify his charges when he said it ran fine pulling it out of the shop bay.

One other thing that might contribute to low power is a clogged catalytic converter.

You have a few choices -
you can check these things out yourself
sell it cheap
part it out

As far as selling it for parts, I wouldn't think you could get more than a few thousand out of it that way. And it is somewhat time consuming.

Edit
I guess you have a fourth option - take it to someone else (and I might be hearing Jamie volunteering if you are close to him!).

·
Master BS'er
5,921 Posts
Seems like they would have at least reviewed the things they checked with you (compression, VGT operation, fuel delivery/pressure, etc).
Of all the times I've heard of engineers looking at a broken vehicle, I've yet to hear any of them actually fix it. Engineers are brilliant in their own way. Usually math. But they're not troubleshooters, techs or mechanics.

I know two engineers personally. Smart dudes no doubt, but kinda dumb a little bit too, just like the rest of us. I machine gun parts for one of them in my spare time because he doesn't know how to machine? He's an engineer at Micron...and doesn't know how to machine?

·
Master BS'er
5,921 Posts
And I did get one wrong just last week, semi wrong anyway. Remember the one with the busted oil cap? It's that one.

Owners are furious and don't want to pay the bill. Still trying to work that one out.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,070 Posts
And I did get one wrong just last week, semi wrong anyway. Remember the one with the busted oil cap? It's that one.

Owners are furious and don't want to pay the bill. Still trying to work that one out.
Ouch. Sorry to hear that! Happens to even the best though.

I have even heard of people trying to sue a forum poster because they gave them the wrong advice and caused them to spend quite a bit of money unnecessarily. That is why I am (or try to be) VERY conservative ...... OEM filters/sensors, no ether, etc.

·
Master BS'er
5,921 Posts
Ouch. Sorry to hear that! Happens to even the best though.

I have even heard of people trying to sue a forum poster because they gave them the wrong advice and caused them to spend quite a bit of money unnecessarily. That is why I am (or try to be) VERY conservative ...... OEM filters/sensors, no ether, etc.
Hey, at least I didn't install the wrong one and blow the top of the cap off. Now THAT'S bad. I just put a FICM in it and the injectors are shot, so it still runs terrible, until it warms up anyway. Worst case of stiction I've seen in a long time.

Sueing over forum advice? Ha! Ya get what ya pay for bud, that's what I would tell him. Did it work? As in, did a lawyer actually take the case?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,070 Posts
Lawyers got involved. I believe the case was dropped, but plenty of hassle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry it's been awhile... I live in Osceola, Wisconsin. No catalytic converter, after market 4" exhaust.

I haven't been able to test fuel pressure, but the ford dealer said they replaced the high pressure pump because pressure was low. I wasn't charged any money, because they filed a warranty on the pump, the previous mechanic put in.

Basically they found nothing new being wrong, but they made it worse! So I get the truck off the tow, try to start it and no crank-no start. I look under the hood and the computers not hooked up. I plug that back in. Still no start. So I go to diagnose the starter being bad, I jumped the starter to the battery... The starter started, but now it won't stop. So now I have batteries disconnected. And plan to take out starter to get it looked at. I hope its the solenoid.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts