Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past 2 year we have experienced a problem with lifter rollers on our work trucks. The roller on the bottom of the lifter is egg shaped and the axle bore is wore out. we have yet to determine the actual cause of the problem. The first truck that came in is a 2006 with approx. 200k on it and had a very faint ticking noise on the passenger side of the engine. After doing a compression test we found cylinder #3 to have low compression. We removed the valve cover and rolled the engine over and found that sometimes the exhaust vale would not open all the way. We removed the head and removed the lifter and found the roller was egg shaped. We also found the roller was loose and wobbly on the axle. We inspected the cam and found approx. a .010 deep roller width groove around the cam lobe. the only thing we could come up with was the roller got stuck and wore down a portion of the roller, then started to spin again. We also noticed valve marks on the top of the piston. Just enough to leave an imprint in the piston but not deep enough to catch your fingernail on. The only explanation we had was that the lifter would ride on the worn portion of the roller while the lifter was pumped up and then the roller would spin to the high spot when the valve would open giving it to much lift. There were no broken valve springs or bent pushrods or rocker damage. We figured this was a rare, unheard of thing to happen and I even spoke to our dealer about it and they claim to of never seen this before. We replaced the engine and moved on. Approx. 6 months later we had another truck of the same year and approx. mileage do the exact same thing on a different cyl. We also replaced that engine. I now have a third engine (same year and approx. mileage) that I think is having the same problem. We have not removed the lifter yet to confirm but the exhaust valves in cyl. #2 are not opening all the way and the pushrod and rocker arm is straight. Just wondering if anybody else has seen this problem. We use a quality brand oil and service our engines at 7500 miles. Any help would be great. Thanks.

·
Fixing Broken Stuff
2,078 Posts
Just curious how close are the build dates? Doesn't the axle of the roller have needle bearings? Were they still there? I have herd of the needle bearings getting sucked up by the oil pump and tearing up the pump.
IDK?? interesting. Lets see what some of the other guys have to say.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ground down the side of one of the old lifters. all of the needle bearings where still in place and the roller was still rolling smothly. as I was cleaning the lifter the needle bearings fell out but I assure you they were all in there. the picture is not that great but I think you can see the flat spot in it at the 6 o’clock position.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
here is some pictures of another lifter that came out of the secound engine. The build dates of the trucks are all within a year. Not sure about the build date of the engines though.

Attachments

·
Fixing Broken Stuff
2,078 Posts
I see exactly what you are talking about. Thats the first time I've herd of the roller flat spotting like that on a PSD. IDK?? But at that point its time for a rebuild.

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
Ive seen quite a bit at work, 6.4's having lots of lifter problems because guys wont change oil often enough. Also seen alot of 6.0's drop needle bearings and wipe out lpop

·
The Unseen Mod
4,126 Posts
Don't think it matters by year. I have a first gen 6.0 and it did that 2 yrs ago, destoryed my cam and started taking out injectors.

·
Certified Engine Destroye
533 Posts
Would the 7500 mile oil changes cause that? ! Weve always done ours at 3k.

·
Certified Engine Destroye
533 Posts
Also wondering if the spring pressure was a tad too much if it would put enough pressure on the lifters to do that to them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
exactly what i was thinking... not to mention this is a heui system, thats really really bad
we took multiple oil samples before and after running our services out from 5k to 7500 and never seen a drop in additives. wear metal, viscosity, soot, and the other particulars of the oil sample stayed the same.
I did notice some wear on the roller axle but I wouldn’t think that would cause a roller to stick. like I said before the roller was still turning smooth and the needle bearings were still in place.
:shrug:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts