Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2006 F350 is starting to heat up on me while at lights and parked while ideling. I am going to do a reverse flush with Restore and Restore Plus as per Nylyons guide.

I also plan to switch out the oil cooler and upgrade the EGR. I found this one on eBay and wanted to know some opinions from you guys that have been down this path already.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400681319348

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
That cheap of a kit screams some sort of failure down the road. I'd suggest you contact BPD for a EGR cooler and OEM oil cooler.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I hate to say it, but I do agree. The best way to go seems to be the OEM cooler. And, I honestly don't think they're a bad piece as long as the correct coolant (NOT Ford Gold) is used and a coolant filter is installed. And of course the cooling system must be 100% free of garbage (silicates, rust, ect.).

Now you say your truck is heating up while idling or parked... Oil or water temperature? Or both? With a clogged oil cooler the water temperature won't be affected at all, and the oil temp will be highest when moving. With a clogged oil cooler the oil temperature will be proportional to the engine load.

If you use Restore and then Restore Plus, make sure you give the system a very, very thorough flushing. I mean, open the drains (all three), run the hose, and let the truck run for a hour. Well, maybe an hour isn't required, but some time. The Restore is a alkaline and the Restore Plus is an acid. If you were to mix the two they would cancel each other out and do no good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well after some of the responses I have received here and around other parts, I have reevaluated my situation. I figured it was a temp thing to just buy this and deal with the $2000 kits later. But I figured why do the work twice, so I will just do a flush with Restore and Restore plus in hopes that it will allow me the time to get the money together for the full package.

While I am here already and will have the truck tore down is there anything else that you guys recommend I do while am already working on the truck.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hate to say it, but I do agree. The best way to go seems to be the OEM cooler. And, I honestly don't think they're a bad piece as long as the correct coolant (NOT Ford Gold) is used and a coolant filter is installed. And of course the cooling system must be 100% free of garbage (silicates, rust, ect.).

Now you say your truck is heating up while idling or parked... Oil or water temperature? Or both? With a clogged oil cooler the water temperature won't be affected at all, and the oil temp will be highest when moving. With a clogged oil cooler the oil temperature will be proportional to the engine load.

If you use Restore and then Restore Plus, make sure you give the system a very, very thorough flushing. I mean, open the drains (all three), run the hose, and let the truck run for a hour. Well, maybe an hour isn't required, but some time. The Restore is a alkaline and the Restore Plus is an acid. If you were to mix the two they would cancel each other out and do no good.

The water temp gets all the way up to the red and I have to place it in neutral and get the rpms up to 2000 for about 45 seconds.

·
Administrator
33,162 Posts
The water temp gets all the way up to the red and I have to place it in neutral and get the rpms up to 2000 for about 45 seconds.
something else is going on IMHO
truck should cool off at idle not higher RPMS

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
875 Posts
Remove the hose that goes from the front cover to the heater core. Place the heater core end into a 5 gallon bucket start the engine . The bucket should fill rapidly. If the coolant is full and the flow is low suspect a water pump impeller problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
flow test your water pump impeller might be broken
x2 on the water pump impeller.
Remove the hose that goes from the front cover to the heater core. Place the heater core end into a 5 gallon bucket start the engine . The bucket should fill rapidly. If the coolant is full and the flow is low suspect a water pump impeller problem.
That is pretty simple. I thought I was going to need some sort of tool or gauge. Is there some guideline that I should use.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts