Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i have a 2006 f550 6.0 zf6. Ive had it about 40k miles replacing things here and there but the truck has been stock its whole life. I recently had 2 injectors fail on the electric side and replaced all 8 with Napa injectors. I know i could have gotten injectors with a better name but i had to have the truck going the next day/that day and they where available. So its been fine for a few thousand miles. I purchased an sct tuner to try and get a mpg or two out of it with the tow tune. Plug it in drive it around block everything is ok. Next morning (this morning)leave for work get it warmed up than start getting into it more and it dies. Reload stock settings starts up and its blowing white smoke(4am hard to see in mirror) try to limp it home eventually its getting fluid in the cylinders and starter wont start it back up. Drag it home the last mile. So now if i get it started i have tons of white smoke, smells like fuel to me. Oil seems ok, coolant is bright and correct color no noticeable loss, pressures look good to me. Im going to pull the valve covers now and try to get my glowplugs out but that will be a fiasco in itself as the harness is broken in the holes. Any suggestions on testing as i dig through it? If it where coolant id have to think it would have a distinct smell it would be less likely to give a problem cranking over? Steady thick white smoke with fuel smell. Going to hope to find a loosened or broke hold down.

·
Super Moderator
5,876 Posts
It’s either a failed copper washer, or you didn’t tighten the injectors properly/blow out the injector hood down bolt hole, or an injector got stuck open and flooded the cylinder(s).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s either a failed copper washer, or you didn’t tighten the injectors properly/blow out the injector hood down bolt hole, or an injector got stuck open and flooded the cylinder(s).
Seems like one is stuck open to me but i agree all three are possibilities im going to be looking into. When i do the buzz test, the third one sounds notably different. A very faint 'click' compared to the others. Im not sure if it goes by firing order or cyl number but ill take it apart and see which cylinder that is. I would have to think it being stuck open wouldnt affect the electrical side but maybe if its stuck open it wont sound the same? Still says its passes the test.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Blocked off one fuel line at a time at filter housing, found pass bank getting compression by bad... injector in pass side bank copper washer was blown out and was loose. I did do this side out in field in a rush so maybe it wasnt proper torque which caused washer to blow out
Thanks for replies glad it wasnt something worse

·
Super Moderator
5,876 Posts
JMO use a good 3/8 rachet not a torque wrench, blow out the bolt hole for the hold down with compressed air and tighten until it stops with 3/8 rachet. I have never had one loosen up this way.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JMO use a good 3/8 rachet not a torque wrench, blow out the bolt hole for the hold down with compressed air and tighten until it stops with 3/8 rachet. I have never had one loosen up this way.
Thanks, that was pretty much my thought when i did it, i didnt figure the torque was super crucial and figured i would get them all nice and tight. I would have to think if anything i was over the torque spec, maybe i stretched the bolt, it didnt snap though. Curious as to where my issue originated, but some things ill never know. Got a few thousand miles of it running great and than immediate failure. Ordered a new hold down and bolt as well as the o rings, supposed to have them tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Hate to tell you this but you need new injectors. You will be fighting injector problems untill you get rid of those and get ford oem

Reactions: bismic1

·
Registered
136 Posts
Agree with CFH...oem injectors and IIRC, torque for hold downs was 28 ft lbs, after blowing out bolt holes.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hate to tell you this but you need new injectors. You will be fighting injector problems untill you get rid of those and get ford oem
you might be right. Had another similiar situation happen today😑 waiting on getting the truck back home to see what happened but i have a funny feeling it is the same injector with the copper washer blown off of it. Which would make me wonder if i have a potential injector cup issue or like you said cheaply manufactured napa parts

1 - 9 of 9 Posts