Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
m-chan68
116 Posts
does cam need to be removed to replace rollers
If roller lifter(s) need replacement, so does the cam. Just the cam by itself, is an ENGINE-OUT repair on a 6.0L. While you're at it, you better retrieve the broken pieces before they pass through the oil pickup tube and do further damage.

·
Pulling sled for hire
1,905 Posts
If roller lifter(s) need replacement, so does the cam. Just the cam by itself, is an ENGINE-OUT repair on a 6.0L. While you're at it, you better retrieve the broken pieces before they pass through the oil pickup tube and do further damage.
I had a lifter go bad and eat the cam. Bean's handled my repairs and found some material in the oil pan. They had a customer before me who had rollers out of the oil pan get picked up and it took out the lpop.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I've replaced several lifters with no damage to the cam, it depends on what the failure was. If a lifter spins or the roller seizes, then yes cam damage usually happens. I've had several lifters where the retainer for the lifter plunger breaks and the guts came out of the lifter with no damage to the cam.

·
m-chan68
116 Posts
I had a lifter go bad and eat the cam. Bean's handled my repairs and found some material in the oil pan. They had a customer before me who had rollers out of the oil pan get picked up and it took out the lpop.
My point exactly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts