Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
The Muscle Hamster
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here she is...

After 160k+ miles, I've finally blown the headgaskets on the ol pooperduty. Currently the truck is sporting an SCT X3 with Innovative Tunes, Isspro EV2s (Pyro, Fuel Press, EOT,ECT), aFe dry intake, 4" downpipe to a 5" straight pipe, and a GoGo coolant filter.

·
The Muscle Hamster
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I intend this thread as a helper to anyone looking to do a HG repair on their own. This will be a learning experience for me. Never done anything this indepth before. I will try to take a decent amount of pictures and log progress and tips on a day-to-day basis.

So far, most of my prep has been reading around on here:psn:, reviewing a few threads I saved in the past for this build, some pointers from a few powerstroke techs in town, and a little YouTube research.

Here is the current list of mini-jobs in this project:
- full disassembly and cleaning of turbo (by local diesel tech)
- machine heads (also by local shop)
- CCV Mod
- relocate oil and fuel gauge senders (currently in billet caps over filters)
- update parts (STC, dummy plugs, blue spring, banjos)
- rebuild subwoofer box (might as well with the rear seat already out)
- clean EVERYTHING.

Next post will be a current parts list and day 1 progress.

·
The Muscle Hamster
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Current parts list (already purchased):
- ARPs - ARP Torque Lube
- OEM Oil Cooler - HPOP fittings (STC)
- Dummy Plugs - Stand Pipes
- FPR kit (blue spring) - 6.4 Banjos
- Turbo oil drain tube - Turbo oil feed line
- Intake Manifold - Intake Gaskets
- Turbo ReInstall Kit - New Ford Emblem!
- Oil Temp Adapter (M14 to 1/8NPT)
- Fuel Bowl Adapter (M12 to 1/8NPT)
- PreFilter Wrap (air filter)

Other changes being made:
- Switching to CAT EC-1 coolant
- Switching to Mobil DelVac 5w40

Please feel free to make any suggestions or share tips during this project.:ford:

Today was a short day after moving the tools to the barn, but here is the current progress. Repositioned truck over a tarp. Removed front and rear seats to access the cab bolts, removed the batteries, and drained the radiator. Coolant was exceptionally clean. Can't wait to get back at it, but the farm is an hour away, so I'll be working on it as I can.

Pics of the stripped interior:

·
"Slap hands slap hands"
1,487 Posts
This is cool look forward to watching your progression thanks for the updates and doing this play by play for us.

·
The Muscle Hamster
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
whats this for ? you running an aftermarket filter ?
I bought an aFe dry filter a few years ago. I know most people say its a waste of money before you get to 500hp, but when I compared the price of it to replacing the stock filter, I realized it would pay for itself pretty quick. My filter element since then has gotten rather nasty as I hit dirtroads on a regular basis. The wrap is just an added later of protection that should also be easy to clean. I ordered one in yellow to help me see how dirty it is actually getting.

Pre-Filters aFe Power MagnumSHIELD Pre-Filters; 2x/72-90037 (Black) 28-10203 - aFe Power

·
The Muscle Hamster
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Forgot to mention, I am also deleting the EGR with a kit that I bought (and should have installed) over a year ago

·
Administrator
32,990 Posts
AFE ? I wonder how long it takes to pay for itself ? the OEM Donaldson will holdover 4 pounds of dirt before setting the filter minder

and the filter is 50 bucks downside is it has no bling factor LOL

·
The Muscle Hamster
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AFE ? I wonder how long it takes to pay for itself ? the OEM Donaldson will holdover 4 pounds of dirt before setting the filter minder

and the filter is 50 bucks downside is it has no bling factor LOL
Lookin back, probably wouldn't do it again. Of course, bought it and an Edge Extreme at the same time:eek:. Edge is gone, but I've got the aFe now and I'm sticking with it. Whether it needed it or not, I would have replaced the Donaldson a couple of times already. Just bugged the crap outta me that no matter how long I sat there with the air compressor, stuff just kept falling out. And yes, I believe the 4lbs!

·
Registered
959 Posts
right on, nice to see you doing ths step by step and showing everyone. keep up the good work hope things go without any hiccups

·
Registered
26 Posts
i work in a shop that does this frequently, I myself dont do this job much but i get to see it done a lot. Just wondering why you removed the seats for it?

·
The Muscle Hamster
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i work in a shop that does this frequently, I myself dont do this job much but i get to see it done a lot. Just wondering why you removed the seats for it?
I could have folded the carpet back far enough to pull the center cab bolts, but I am really trying to focus on taking my time with this project and cleaning everything as I go. Removal of the rear seat is unavoidable for a crew cab, the front is only 8 more bolts, so I pulled em and will probably steam the carpet before putting them back in.

·
The Muscle Hamster
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, day two is in the books. Didn't accomplish near what I wanted to, but as I've mentioned before I'm not in a hurry. A couple of things I forgot to mention, the reason I have chosen to tackle this myself is, like most of us, lack of budget. Ford calls for 20 hours labor to do this job and with the upgrades and cleaning I wanted to do, I was looking at around $5000+tax. Also, this job will be slow going as the barn I’m working in is 45min away and I have a Jeep to drive while the truck’s down.
I will be doing this without a post lift, although I am starting to realize how convenient a lift would be! To help keep everything organized, I am either threading the bolts I pull back into their holes after the part is removed, or placing them in labeled baggies.
Today, I drained the coolant from the driver-side of the engine block and spent a good while attempting to remove the starter to access the passenger side drain plug. Trying to remove the top starter bolt turned into one of the moments when you have to walk away. I got frustrated and decided to go back to it next time. If you are doing this project on a surface that cannot be washed easily I would highly suggest using tarps when draining the block. Here is my undercarriage after the drain:

Here is the engine compartment with only the batteries and coolant filter element removed. This is how I started today.

I removed (in this order) the degas bottle, the air intake and intake tube, disconnected electrics above the battery tray, removed the tray, disconnected heater hose, and removed the CAC tube.

As my day wound down, I began removing the front clip. Not sure this is entirely necessary, just hoping it will give more room. The truck sits up pretty good so hopefully having this stuff out the way will also allow me easier access as the job progresses. Parts removed in the lower pics are the grill, the headlights, hood latch, radiator mounts, and loosened the plastic frame that holds the grill.

Anyway boys, glad yall are following and I'll try not to screw this thing up too bad. :psn:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I could have folded the carpet back far enough to pull the center cab bolts, but I am really trying to focus on taking my time with this project and cleaning everything as I go. Removal of the rear seat is unavoidable for a crew cab, the front is only 8 more bolts, so I pulled em and will probably steam the carpet before putting them back in.
oh ok, but you dont actually have to remove the rear seat it should fold forward peel back the carpet and your there. the front can be peeled back and i believe there is a center one that a trim piece can be removed and carpet peeled but i cannot remember if that is there. A little late now but hey now you can really clean your carpet. just wanted to add my two cents for anyone reading this to do it themselves.

·
The Muscle Hamster
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well boys, the big brown truck FINALLY came today!!! Placed an order for the majority of my parts on Thanksgiving day, and thanks to UPS, they got shipped all over the country before they made it to me. At one point, the box was checked in 25mile from my house, tagged “out for delivery”, and the next thing I know, its in Illinois!
Anyway, made a little more progress. I was able to finish removing the front clip. The only thing left is the transmission cooler. Having a hard time getting the transmission cooler lines off. Here are the pictures without the fan shroud, radiator, AC core, front brace, and intercooler (in order of removal).

A lot of time today was spent draining the remaining fluids. Next go round will include removing the fan, remaining passenger side items. Hoping for a lot more progress next time. Depending on how long I get to work, would like to have the cab jacked up after the next day of work. Can’t seem to find much time right now, you know, its hunting season!

:D:D

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
GF just had PDR redo headgaskets in her 6.0 that already had a delete and studs done by another shop. yes the price broke $5g.
they did not jack the cab. the mechanic removed the grill, rad, etc and did the job through the front
I think jacking the cab will make access much easier for us novices

a lot of that $5000 could have bought a used 2 post hoist :) but my truck was apart already so I was not able to do it.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts