Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
05 f350 with sct tuner (studded and deleted) with blue spring mod. And for the record I took the truck back to stock tune

Having an issue where after a long hard run, or a run up a hill, the truck starts running rough and acting like its not getting fuel. Sometimes it runs so bad it dies. Wait a few seconds, start her up and it runs fine. (until I do a hard pull again) I can hear a intermittent slight miss at idle as well at times. Tank is 3/4 full of fuel. No codes, no CEL. Also there is no smoke when this happens. just took her for a run and it happened, brought it back and shut it off, started it back up and idles fine.

Oil pressure seems good, can't remember exact numbers but it was in the 3000's I think even while it was dying. FICM voltage holds steady at 48 volts.

I changed the fuel pump and filter out to a different one. (a used one that was working when removed from a different truck) no change. I did not change the upper filter but it doesn't look bad.

I imagine a fuel pressure test would be in order but I do not have the equipment right now to do it. Am I right thinking its a fuel issue?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I'm not really sure on this one either. Seems like you're getting good pressure, but what is your IPR at? If it's 85%, then something is starting to go and releasing pressure.....though I would think you wouldn't have the problem you are. A bubble line test might be in order too. Hopefully someone will chime in with a good idea.

·
Big dumb redneck
4,200 Posts
I'd start with testing the fuel pressure. Check it while making a hard run and see if it drops off real low. If it does, truck basically goes into a limp mode. If that is a dead end, and pressure holds, I'd start looking at your HPO system....mainly IPR as mentioned already.

·
Registered
1 Posts
04 f250 6.0 acting fuel starved, bucking, missing and dieing. Now a no start. Ran scan, po405 (erg valve). cleaned it, didnt help,
replaced fuel filters, didnt help. Replaced fuel pump, didnt help.
fuel bowl for upper filter not primeing, dry. Should I assume its a fuse, sensor or relay ? how do I determine which to replace?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
No fuel is getting to the upper fuel bowl? When you turn the key on, do you hear the pump whirring? The pump is bolted to the frame rail and generally underneath the driver's seat area. You said it was replaced, but I don't know if you did it or someone else did, so don't take offense....I want to be sure you know where to listen. If it is whirring, there's a feed problem. I would begin by looking for a crimped line, both in front by the engine, and all the way back along the frame to the tank. If no crimped lines, probably the tank screen is clogged. Saw a bit of that when too much bio-diesel was used on some tanks. If it is not whirring, check for voltage at the connector. If you have voltage, then you somehow got a bad pump. If there is no voltage (the more likely culprit) you most likely have a blown fuse, a tripped inertia switch, or a bad relay. The inertia relay is supposed to be behind the right side kick panel. I say supposed because I have seen it more up towards the glove box too. Anyway, check the button on that to see if it has tripped. Also, check fuse number 40 on your under dash fuse panel. Hopefully that will solve your problem. If not, you most likely have a bad relay. The problem is the relay isn't serviceable. It's an integral part of the fuse panel. Some people have been able to swap them out, but it's not generally considered serviceable. Check the inertia switch and fuse and then let us know what you get.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,319 Posts
04 f250 6.0 acting fuel starved, bucking, missing and dieing. Now a no start. Ran scan, po405 (erg valve). cleaned it, didnt help,
replaced fuel filters, didnt help. Replaced fuel pump, didnt help.
fuel bowl for upper filter not primeing, dry. Should I assume its a fuse, sensor or relay ? how do I determine which to replace?
P0405 is almost always a failed EGR valve (electrically). Cleaning won't help it, so that is one of your issues.

It is not unusual for the secondary fuel filter to be empty when you remove the filter. With the filter removed, will the secondary fuel filter bowl fill quickly with the key on?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts