Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so my buddy has an '05 six leaker and it's giving him some problems. I used my DashDaq to scan some codes and we got quite a list. After scanning, the truck started up fine and ran real good. After we killed the engine and tried to start it up, it wouldn't want to start again. He says it's been having starting issues when warm so I'm not to sure about that....

Here's the codes/descriptions:

P0198 - Oil Temp Circuit High
P0231 - Fuel Pump secondary circuit low
P0261 - Cylinder 1 circuit low
P0263 - Cylinder 1 contribution / balance
P0264 - Cylinder 2 circuit low
P0267 - Cylinder 3 circuit low
P0270 - Cylinder 4 circuit low
P0273 - Cylinder 5 circuit low
P0276 - Cylinder 6 circuit low
P0279 - Cylinder 7 circuit low
P0282 - Cylinder 8 circuit low
P0341 - Camshaft position sensor
P0611 - Fuel injector control module performance
P1378 - Fuel injector control module voltage low
P2291 - ICP too low - engine cranking

Then it said this in the list too....
"A circuit range / performance (bank 1 or single sensor)"

Either way, it had the codes for the EGR because it has a delete on it. Otherwise, the truck is stock. After driving around, no other codes beside the EGR popped up but the truck wouldn't start once warm. It takes a little while before she will fire up.

So, what all is wrong with this thing, CPS and ICP maybe?

-clay

·
Word
608 Posts
If it starts fine and runs from a cold start up, but won't start when it's warm or hot that's a classic internal oil leak problem somewhere....

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, like in the HPOP itself or the rails or what? I've looked in this forum and have found problems with an SCT fitting. I'm not sure what that is, any pics?

Basically, I want to see if I can determine the cause as fairly easy as possible before we decide if we should tear into it or just take it to someone else. I've always fixed my 7.3 and that's not bad but this 6.0 looks like a pain to work on.....

·
The Unseen Mod
4,126 Posts
Is this a 6.0 and what year ? it could be the STC fitting in the newer trucks, but it does sound like a hpop leak somewhere, also the other codes I made comments on.

P0198 - Oil Temp Circuit High
P0231 - Fuel Pump secondary circuit low
P0261 - Cylinder 1 circuit low Sounds like a FICM Issue or electrical side of the injectors
P0263 - Cylinder 1 contribution / balance This could be an injector issue
P0264 - Cylinder 2 circuit low
P0267 - Cylinder 3 circuit low
P0270 - Cylinder 4 circuit low
P0273 - Cylinder 5 circuit low
P0276 - Cylinder 6 circuit low
P0279 - Cylinder 7 circuit low
P0282 - Cylinder 8 circuit low
P0341 - Camshaft position sensor
P0611 - Fuel injector control module performance
P1378 - Fuel injector control module voltage low Sounds to be a FICM issue
P2291 - ICP too low - engine cranking ICP could be bad

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a 2005, 6.0 as stated in the first post. As for the comments in bold....

These codes have yet to come back since I've cleared them. I've told him to drive it around for a week or so and we'll pull codes again. The check engine light has even stayed off considering the EGR is deleted.......

If the FICM is having issued, would a reflash be a plausible remedy or are you saying that it's more along the lines of a hardware failure?

I pulled the ICP plug and there wasn't any oil in it....so could it still be bad? I'd imagine that we'd have to get the truck warm, shut it off, pull the ICP and then try to start it to see, correct?

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,327 Posts
When you actually get the FICM codes (P0611 is one), the FICM issues are probably hardware - poor soldering typically. There are posted test and repair threads for the FICM. Problems w/ the FICM usually show up as hard tarts when cold. The first link below can show you how to test the FICM.

6.0's, FICM's and Cold Start Problems - Powerstroke Nation

Detailed FICM Repair Procedure - Powerstroke Nation

More 2003 6.0L cold starting problems - Page 4 - Powerstroke Nation

With any FICM issue, make sure both batteries are strong (individual load test when disconnected) and that the alternator is good.

·
Registered
81 Posts
stc most likely i had the same starting problems until one day it wouldnt start no more pulled it apart did the stc one peace fitting and a whole bunch of other deletes ,was like going threw hell to restart it with all the air in the system but runs like new again

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,327 Posts
The codes clearly indicate a FICM issue. Take care of that first. A reflash will not fix a bad FICM.

·
m-chan68
116 Posts
The codes clearly indicate a FICM issue. Take care of that first. A reflash will not fix a bad FICM.
I agree. And I don't care what kind of TSB Ford comes out with, if voltages are dropping under load, no reflash is going to fix what is clearly a hardware issue.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
does anyone know what motor is in a 05 excursion. my moms had some of the same codes pop up a couple months ago and it would crank and crank but no start anytime it set there a couple days. its fixed now. im not sure what the problem was because my dad threw the papers out that stated what was wrong with it when he was driving it home. :doh:

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright so a bit of an update...The truck has been running fine and there are only two codes and that's for the EGR.

Would this still mean the likeliness of the FICM being bad or fixin to go bad still be likely?

The warm start issue is still present so I'll have to try and figure out the most likely cause of the internal leak....joy.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I'd say the fitting and ficm need replaced the icp sensor on the newer model 6.0 hardly ever go bad compared to the early ones.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,327 Posts
Alright so a bit of an update...The truck has been running fine and there are only two codes and that's for the EGR.

Would this still mean the likeliness of the FICM being bad or fixin to go bad still be likely?

The warm start issue is still present so I'll have to try and figure out the most likely cause of the internal leak....joy.
Have you checked the FICM voltage - multiple folks are recommending to start with it .....

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
check FICM voltage, an air test should reveal any HPO leaks, STC fitting is most common but the dummy plugs on the HPO rails can leak to.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts