Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
crazed & deranged farmer
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw in an old post that someone used a 6.0L powerstroke fuel pump and the fuel bowl on a 7.3L. I'm thinking of doing this on my 97 thats getting stage I's or III's, an adrenaline HPOP, SD intake plenums, IC, and a 38r. If anyone have any pics or diagrams of the swap i'd be very interested or if anyone thinks this is a bad idea i'd like to know before i buy the 6.0 fuel pump.

·
<---F350 DRIFTER
516 Posts
Do you have some way of regulating the fuel pressure? I don't know if the FPR on our trucks will do it right for that set up??? If I remember right our fuel pump sends fuel through the bowl at low pressure then feeds the heads at higher pressure, basically a two stage pump. You don't want to send it straight to the bowl at high pressure. Hopefully someone with more knowledge on your plan will chime in.

·
crazed & deranged farmer
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So i talked to a few people today and the 6.0 pumps are only able to put out 45-55 under load so not enough to supply the stages III's i want so i guess i'm gonna have to go another route...

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
there is a guy on powerstroke.org that did this swap successfully.... he loves his setup. But if it were my i'd delete that fuel bowl and just use the pump.

In fact im in the middle of setting this system up myself! I'd say a 6.0 fuel pump is just fine unless your going to the track all the time or looking for 550 hp

·
crazed & deranged farmer
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there is a guy on powerstroke.org that did this swap successfully.... he loves his setup. But if it were my i'd delete that fuel bowl and just use the pump.

In fact im in the middle of setting this system up myself! I'd say a 6.0 fuel pump is just fine unless your going to the track all the time or looking for 550 hp
So, i feel like this is a stupid question, but if i go with stage ones, i have been told i can use the stock fuel system. Would going to a 6.0 pump and 2 spin on filters and a external regulator get more performance out of stage ones? Or would i be waisting money on a electric fuel system?

·
crazed & deranged farmer
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The thing about any off the shelf kit is cost! I have already talked to a few different people who sell kits and everything is well over $1000. My truck is never going to see the track and most likely wont even see a dyno. Its more of a half budjet / daily driver and I really dont want to make it into a sled/track truck with a $1500 fuel system.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
So, i feel like this is a stupid question, but if i go with stage ones, i have been told i can use the stock fuel system. Would going to a 6.0 pump and 2 spin on filters and a external regulator get more performance out of stage ones? Or would i be waisting money on a electric fuel system?
stage ones can and will drop your fuel system down below 50psi at WOT

and that is dangerous to injectors since they use fuel to lube themselves. A fuel system is always worth it, but not for $1000
The thing about any off the shelf kit is cost! I have already talked to a few different people who sell kits and everything is well over $1000. My truck is never going to see the track and most likely wont even see a dyno. Its more of a half budjet / daily driver and I really dont want to make it into a sled/track truck with a $1500 fuel system.
You can get the parts for $500 so they charge you for all the information and gather of the stuff basically. So really all you paying for is there time and effort to come up with the idea

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
stage ones can and will drop your fuel system down below 50psi at WOT

you can drop fuel psi with stock injectors and a good chip.

and that is dangerous to injectors since they use fuel to lube themselves. A fuel system is always worth it, but not for $1000

You can get the parts for $500 so they charge you for all the information and gather of the stuff basically. So really all you paying for is there time and effort to come up with the idea
just cause you can get all the parts for $500 doesnt mean its a good deal. cause remember beans will have a warrenty for their fuel system, that DIY one wont.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
just cause you can get all the parts for $500 doesnt mean its a good deal. cause remember beans will have a warrenty for their fuel system, that DIY one wont.
Yes my DIY one will have a warranty on anything I buy brand new. Which is basically everything but the pump.
So its warrantied for sure.

And yes i know you can drop fuel pressure with a chip and stock injectors, its just more obvious with 1's. And the mis conception is that stage 1's dont need a fuel system. But that is wrong. They will survive without one, its just not good

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Oh and the fact that I can get all the parts for $500 makes it a DAMN good deal. I dont know who you've been talking to?? But over 50% off of a CPR or beans system is quite a savings. Anyone with any mechanical ability shouldnt ever even think about getting a kit. Just my opinion though, who wants to waste money?
I bet my kit will outflow a CPR anyhow once its totally done

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
Oh and the fact that I can get all the parts for $500 makes it a DAMN good deal. I dont know who you've been talking to?? But over 50% off of a CPR or beans system is quite a savings. Anyone with any mechanical ability shouldnt ever even think about getting a kit. Just my opinion though, who wants to waste money?
I bet my kit will outflow a CPR anyhow once its totally done
if you wanna bet that it will then why not prove it.

·
crazed & deranged farmer
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, so here in my new plan, stage ones, 6.0L fuel pump, a pre-filter before the pump, and then a spin on filter after the pump, stock fuel bowl delete, and a regulated return with a fuel pressure gauge under the hood on the engine. i'm gonna try to put this together for less than $400 since there is no way i am gong to pay $1000+ for a fuel system.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Ok, so here in my new plan, stage ones, 6.0L fuel pump, a pre-filter before the pump, and then a spin on filter after the pump, stock fuel bowl delete, and a regulated return with a fuel pressure gauge under the hood on the engine. i'm gonna try to put this together for less than $400 since there is no way i am gong to pay $1000+ for a fuel system.
well a regulator is $200 so you had better find a 6.0 pump for cheap. On Ebay right now there is ones for about 90 used i think.

But i think 500-600 would be a better bet on cost

·
crazed & deranged farmer
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well your probably right, i just want to spend as little as possible while still putting together a good sold system that wont let me down. but i only intend on replacing the fuel system from the tank selector valve to the engine heads. I know i allot of people are doing a compleet system from the tank pickups but i dont want to get that involved in things.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
well your probably right, i just want to spend as little as possible while still putting together a good sold system that wont let me down. but i only intend on replacing the fuel system from the tank selector valve to the engine heads. I know i allot of people are doing a compleet system from the tank pickups but i dont want to get that involved in things.
oh come on haha... if your going to do it, then do it all :evil

But it definitely can be done perfectly fine with what your talking about. The pickup lines and in tank mods are all extra benefits unless your in the high 400's HP wise

·
crazed & deranged farmer
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i want to retain as much factory equipment as possible, just ditch the fuel bowl, mechanical fuel pump, and all the old lines on the engine. i'm not trying to build a 400hp sled or track truck i'm gonna be driving this thing ever day and tires are expensive! haha i'm already getting into trouble with my stock engine with intake exhaust and a chip! i guess i shouldn't be so lead footed.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
i want to retain as much factory equipment as possible, just ditch the fuel bowl, mechanical fuel pump, and all the old lines on the engine. i'm not trying to build a 400hp sled or track truck i'm gonna be driving this thing ever day and tires are expensive! haha i'm already getting into trouble with my stock engine with intake exhaust and a chip! i guess i shouldn't be so lead footed.
haha well a fuel system with your stock stuff wont change power much. It will make it run better though..

And no 400hp truck is much on the track or the with the sled hahaha you need 500+ to compete

·
crazed & deranged farmer
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, i'm jus trying to get a little more power for puling steep passes and some towing. Stage ones, a 38r, sd intercooler & plenums, a 17* hpop, and a electric fuel system is my plan. My truck has 313k so i dont wanna go too overboard. i do have a spare engine i'm building but i wanna get as much use out of the existing engine as possible.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts