Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got all the parts to go to a T4 flange turbo and got a killer deal i couldnt turn up on a 66mm thats not gated. so im trying to figure out the best way to keep drive pressures down and not blow anything up. wondering if anyone could help with the difference between a blow off valve and an external wastegate, pros and cons? and also if anyone has ever done this and has some pics of their setup to help would be great.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
there's a number of guys running an external gate on a 6L and some even have a blow off valve. But the blow off valve isn't gonna help with drive pressure. A blow off valve doesn't do the same thing as a gate. If the turbo is spec'd right...you wont need a wastegate. My 64/71/70 turbo is non gated and boost/drive pressure stays 1:1 all the way to 40psi. After that drive pressure starts rising more than boost. When i dyno'd boost was 45psi and BP was around 53-54psi...that's pretty darn good i think. Just make sure the wheel and housing is spec'd right with the turbo and you shouldn't need a gate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are you running a blow off valve? do you have alot of bark from it? cause i plan to do quite a bit of pulling and i dont want it to bark too bad if i let out of it.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
are you running a blow off valve? do you have alot of bark from it? cause i plan to do quite a bit of pulling and i dont want it to bark too bad if i let out of it.
i have no blow off valve...don't see a need for my setup. Turbo doesn't bark unless i'm on it hard and let off fast. But it also barked when everything was stock when i did the same thing.

·
matt
911 Posts

·
i like to party
1,415 Posts
nor will is spool very well LOL.

To answer your question between a blow off valve and a externa gate is:

A blow off valve releases surge pressure to the atmosphere, after quickly letting off the throttle. This prevents compressed air from being shoved back into the compressor aka a turbo fart/bark..

A gate wil relieve drive pressure if it raises past a certain pressure ratio, this will prevent overspeedng the turbo or other potentially damaging issues such as blowing up pipes, head gaskets etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts