Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=388062&id=560155071&l=8acca993f8

Well I got it out. Not that bad of a job once you lift the front of the cab up. I removed the fender mounts and the mounts under the passenger and driver and jacked it up on both sides. Also removed the turbo for more room. Also remove the clamp that holds the trans lines to the oil pan and drain your a/c before starting the job, and one ground wire. Other then that it went pretty good once I found the access hole for the torque converter mounts.

Now onto the heads and oil cooler and turbo clean up.

THen have to try and get it back in :(

·
Not Winning.
1,397 Posts
damn, that kinda looks like a pain in the a$$! it looks like a very tight fit. nice job!

·
7.3 Enthusiast
682 Posts
Is it safe to leave your tranny hanging from the tailshaft like that? I always put a jackstand under it just because it didn't look like it would hold the weight. Just curious.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
YEah I have a jack under it, pulled it out cause it wasn't doing anything at the time and in the way. THe shop is only 6 months old first real job but had to let the back of the truck hang out so I had some room.

Probably took me about 8 hrs to get it out, but next time way faster cause I know how to do it.

The hardest part was probably lifting the cab and getting the torque bolts cause I didn't have quite the right length socket.

Also if you remove the FICM and the rear uppipes probably wouldn't have to lift the cab

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got some studs today and changed the oil cooler, in the process I have found a failing lifter, lost the retainer but all the parts were there and no damage. also found the screen under the oil cooler was torn.

That oil cooler set up is the worst setup I have ever seen, I work on Caterpillar equpiment and theirs makes a lot more sense imo

Later
Jamie

·
m-chan68
116 Posts
Got some studs today and changed the oil cooler, in the process I have found a failing lifter, lost the retainer but all the parts were there and no damage.
How can you be so sure of this? Which lifter is it? How does the cam lobe look? Perhaps now would be a good time to pull the pan off, to see if you have foreign debris present. And if so, pull the front cover/low pressure oil pump apart for a better look.

also found the screen under the oil cooler was torn.
And this is the very reason why I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS replace that screen whenever I have an oil cooler off one of these.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the lifter parts were all intact the retainer had fallen out and when I pulled the push tube the other two parts came out as well. The cam is in good shape as I inspected it. I also cut the oil filter and squeezed out the oil in a vice and it was clean (element)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts