Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Ken G. 06 f350 4x4
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang,
I have a question about my 2006 f-350 dually / 6.0 / 110,00 miles and i am on my 3rd degas bottle they keep cracking along the hose mount into the bottom of the tank. Is this a common problem w/ all 6.0 or just mine??
Dealer say's they see a couple but it must be something i am doing.
What could i be doing that would crack the tank fitting? The last time it happened dealer say's it is the superchip programer building to much pressure and cracking the tank. I have never run the truck any higher than the tow mode and only when towing, the rest of the time it is set in economy mode.
But after the 2nd tank i stopped running the programmer and it still happpened for the 3rd time. What's up with this??? I do not abuse my truck it is my baby. Thank you for all your time, Ken

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,868 Posts
idk about your situation but ive been looking at mine thinking a small polished aluminum tank mounted elswhere would be much better looking, thinking about seeing what i can fab up to mount on my passenger side fender

·
Ken G. 06 f350 4x4
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked for aftermarket degas but did not find one. was also thinking the same thing.. modify a marine stainless or aluminum tank. But beforre doing so i would like to be sure there is not an internal problem that is making this happen. thank for the reply. Ken

·
<-MONEY PITT!!
1,308 Posts
What mods do u have?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
i have blow my headgaskets twice but i have never had a problem with the degas bottle min has a 166k on my 05 and still has the origonal degas bottle and cap, so it could possibly be something your doing i just dont know all 6.0s are different

·
Captain Negativity!
3,108 Posts
I know the ones that crack around the bottom have been contaminated with oil in the coolant at one time or another.

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,868 Posts
I know the ones that crack around the bottom have been contaminated with oil in the coolant at one time or another.
ok doug the 6.0 genius, why dont u come up with an aluminum tank that sets someplace more out of the way, like the old 7.3 had, that plastic on just looks hideous under there, and i know ur quite capable of pulling that off

·
Captain Negativity!
3,108 Posts
Because I have been a little busy creating other part for the 6.0L. Like intake manifolds and SFI bellhousings for torqshifts, trans brakes, and stroker kits.

If you want to donate to the research and development fund, it would go quicker. But when I'm personally funding it all, it takes me time.

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,868 Posts
understandable, how much pressure does it have to be able to hold? i got a guy here n town pretty handy with fabrication, works at my local machine shop, does it have to be mounted as high as it is? or can it be mounted at a lower location n work properly?

·
Captain Negativity!
3,108 Posts
Has to be the highest point on the system for all of the air to go there. And it wouldn't need to handle more than 18psi since thats what the system was designed for. And the cap vents off at 16 to keep it in check. You could try to raise the system pressure to find the next leak point, but you might not like what you find...

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,868 Posts
ya, i dont think ill push the limits, ill let a guy like you push the limits, because you obviously know where the next leaking point is, so as long as i keep the neck of the bottle above the highest coolant port in the motor theoretically it should work right?

·
Ken G. 06 f350 4x4
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The mods i have are pretty common nothing rad, Superchip flashpac, that i have not run in the last 7 months becuase dealer said it was the reason for the degas cracking. and it still cracked again anyway so that's not it.
Banks cooler and high ram intake/pipe, airaid air filter, 5" exhaust w/ delete pipe. Had the heads done at 73,000 miles and now have approx 110,000 miles. Truck is not run hard, daily driver, tow equipment trailers and my boat's . Last night i smelled diesel fuel in the cab, this am i saw injector regulator gasket leaking so now i need to do that also. had problems w/ the ficm this winter and fixed that problem/ took out and resoldered works fine now. Boy ford did there home work, they really know when the warranty is up the truck starts to nickle and dime you. I have extended 7 yr. 200,000 mile waranty but it seems nothing is ever covered that let's go. Thanks again for your time, Ken

·
Registered
20 Posts
You may want to take a sniff in the degas bottle to smell exhaust gases=it only takes a small exhaust leak from maybe the EGR cooler or injector cup=the gasses is bad=maybe reacting or pulseating back to the gas bottle=other maybe a hose is getting hard putting strain on the fitting or something straining the fitting. Just a thot.

·
Ken G. 06 f350 4x4
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The coolant looks good smells good.
I thought the same as far as hose was to heavy or viberateing around enough to break the degas bottle so i even hung it to take any tension off the fitting into degas bottle and it still cracked. $80.00 PER DEGAS BOTTLE. This is getting a bit frustrateing. Thanks again, Ken

·
Captain Negativity!
3,108 Posts
The coolant looks good smells good.
I thought the same as far as hose was to heavy or viberateing around enough to break the degas bottle so i even hung it to take any tension off the fitting into degas bottle and it still cracked. $80.00 PER DEGAS BOTTLE. This is getting a bit frustrateing. Thanks again, Ken
But what did it taste like?

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
Would that be like KFC chicken or Popeye's chicken?

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,868 Posts
My bottle is also cracked
ok well ive started on the remedy i think, we will see what happens, when i get it built im going to ship it to doug and have him give it a once over and see what he thinks of it

·
Registered
609 Posts
So Doug are you saying that if my bottle is cracked there was oil in the coolant at some point which means my HG is blown?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts