Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i'm planning on getting either a tru-cool to add to my stocker or just replacing with a 6.0 cooler which would be better? The money factor isnt a huge deal just wondering which option would be better.

·
riverjet
459 Posts
Ifyou had a new BTS or JW I would say get the 6.0cooler. For a stock trans get the tru-cool.More cost effective and lowered my temps 30 deg. 6.0 cooler is to much money and if the stock trans fails I would not re -use the cooler on a new build.

·
Busted Knuckles
2,456 Posts
Just put the tru-cool on my BTS drove 200 in 90 degree weather at 70 mph and didn't see any temps over 140.

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
You can buy an aftermarket cooler that will stomp the balls off a torqshift cooler. They were popular because they were cost effective. They arent anymore, I dont consider this a good mod for the price. 3-400 for a stock transcooler? Thats nuts! Get a Hayden or check anybody that makes torqconvertors cuz they probably make one. Alot cheaper too!

·
Caption This
4,258 Posts
You can buy an aftermarket cooler that will stomp the balls off a torqshift cooler.
The best aftermarket cooler made is a 4739 Tru Cool. It is about half what the torqueshift cooler is.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok thanks guys..i'll probably do the tru cool, would synthetic fluids and a mag hytec pan/pml pan help out temps any? Dont really have too much trouble with it getting warm except for when pulling out my buddies pre-runners and was worried bc i'll be buying/towing a boat this summer.

·
A Ghost these days...
2,434 Posts
I like my cooler from Diesel Site. It was well worth the $120 whatever dollars. I wanted the 6.0 cooler but I didn't want to un ass the money.

And yes, the Mag Hytec pan will help cool things as well. That pan also has something that helps hold the trans filter in place and keeps it from cracking.

·
Busted Knuckles
2,456 Posts
Don't ask me why but when I talked to Brian at BTS he asked me if I kept the stock pan on my tranny from him and he for some reason he wasn't a big fan of an aftermarket pan. Just an fyi so you may want to do some more research on that topic.

·
Let'er Buck!
1,685 Posts
Don't ask me why but when I talked to Brian at BTS he asked me if I kept the stock pan on my tranny from him and he for some reason he wasn't a big fan of an aftermarket pan. Just an fyi so you may want to do some more research on that topic.
He's not a fan of the deep pans because they are just that, too deep. Yeah, you get more airflow across them to help cool, but it actually has a negative affect on the fluid inside. See the filter/pickup tube gets the fluid off the bottom of the stock pan. But when you install a deep pan, you're sucking fluid from the upper part of the fluid, not the bottom. Brian's thought is that you're not getting proper fluid flow resulting in greater inefficiencies by having a deep pan and stock filter/pickup.

·
Registered
447 Posts
go to your local ford dealer and ask them if they have a used 6.0 cooler they will sell you. When they replace a tranny under warranty they have to replace the cooler. The deep pans are a waste of money IMO

·
riverjet
459 Posts
Be careful about a used cooler.... you might get free metal to go with it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
With a deeper pan the fluid can still get hot, it'll just take a little Longer to get there. I like the 6.0 cooler, On 95 degree days n stand still traffic I've never seen over 175. usually the temp is around 160-165 in the summer. I.ve tried alot of aftermarket coolers , Im happy with the 6.0.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I just installed the trucool fron Bob on my e99 that does not pass through the rad. I stacked the two together. On a recent trip up north on a 5 mile 6% grade in outside temps around 100* and running it pretty hard 55-60 mph the trans never reached 180*. That was dragging my 13K lb toyhauler. For $142 shipped it's a real bargain and it works. the pan is not worth the $$$$. I also added a spin on filter.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sorry to jump in, who sells the tru-cool system?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I found it from the dieselsite, thanks anyways everyone.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
That's where I got mine. Bob & Sheryl are great people to deal with. Talk to Bob, can't remember what year your truck is you may need the thermal bypass valve to go with it for winter. I think they are $42 or so.

·
rollin coal in norcal.
214 Posts
im bumping a old thread because i want to hear from the people who have since bought a tru cool and how they like it.
when i bought my truck it already had a built trans and magtec pan. ive been thinking about selling the pan and using that money on turbo parts.

·
<<< my office view
240 Posts
the tru-cool didnt do near what the 6.0 does for me and mine. i could pull 10,000 into the mountains and be sneakin up on 200* with the tru-cool, granted the ambient was over 100*, but i switched to the 6.0 and have yet to get over 180 pulling the same trailer over the same hills in the same heat :rockwoot:

if you are paying the ebay price, the 6.0 cooler is pricey...go here Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market and search for a 6.0 cooler in your local area. i got mine for 75 bucks and my buddy got his for 50 bucks :D

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
did you run both the trucool and stock cooler or just tru cool?
at 75 bucks the 6.0 would def be a good deal usually they are 250 or more.

side note i did not see trans cooler listed on that link as an item on the pull down menu...will have to look again i guess

1 - 20 of 22 Posts