Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2004 F250 6.0 turbski, 6 speed standard
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 6.0 doesn't show any signs of needing a new oil cooler. Doesn't exceed a 15 degree delta when climbing tough hills in 6th gear (manual transmission), and goes right back to equal when the engine load is reduced. And I'd like to keep it that way. The coolant seems to be in good shape, but I messaged the previous owner and he says he never changed it, and doesn't know when it was last changed. I've already changed the Sinister Diesel coolant filter with a fresh one, since that was definetly due.

I want to change the coolant since there's no saying when it was last done. What coolant should I use, and what's the procedure?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I would recommend Rotella ELC red coolant after a thorough flush and back flush if cooking system. Also, if you do not already have a high idle mod do this beforehand so you can remove the thermostat between flushes and maximize your time. I ran a week with distilled and liquid cascade with dawn, then backflsuhed oil cooler, heater core and radiator. My deltas were better then prior. Sold my 6.0 with orig head gaskets and EGR, no issue with either at 200k + miles.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reactions: ben_marko

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
The manual on Ford gold is 100k, but it should be 50k

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,851 Posts
Ford OFFICIALLY updated that 100k to 45 k in TSB 09-08-5. The initial change was after 105k miles.

I wouldn't recommend using Ford Gold at all because it just does not hold up. If you unexpectedly leaked some coolant out and the coolant got very hot, then that alone could cause it to drop out solids. It is not a "robust" coolant.

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 F250 6.0 turbski, 6 speed standard
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
read this over
So in summary:

•Drain both sides of the block
•Drain the radiator
•Refill with water and Restore+
•Drive for an hour
•Drain the block and radiator again
•Back flush the heater and oil cooler
•Keep draining and filling to remove the cleaner
•When all the cleaner is gone, fill it back up with Rotella ELC?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
When your done can you my truck? I have about 40k on the coolant

1 - 11 of 11 Posts